Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ashuramarsh

Old January 24th, 2017, 07:33 AM
I have an issue since the last update. I have a data set that overrides a normal skill. The data set is set to only be usable when it is selected in the character configuration. However, since the update it has been overriding the skill whether the dataset active or not. Is there a way to fix this?
ashuramarsh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 24th, 2017, 07:35 AM
If you mean the "Replaces Thing Id" option in the editor, replacements are handled before sources are checked.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ashuramarsh

Old January 24th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Yeah it was setup with that and worked fine before the new update. Now it replaces the skill regardless. I don't even need to have the dataset active. It also has lots of precludes, but these do not go into affect.

If I set the skill to only be active when the source is checked, it removes the skill entirely. The same happens when I try removing the replace thing.

I would think that ID replacers would only work when you select the source.
ashuramarsh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 24th, 2017, 08:04 AM
No, replacement happens when deciding how to set up the database, which happens when you first load the game system. Sources aren't checked until you're working on a particular character.

I don't know how it worked before the update - nothing has changed about replacements.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ashuramarsh

Old January 24th, 2017, 11:11 AM
So a dataset will always overwrite the main database regardless of being set as a resource?
ashuramarsh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 24th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashuramarsh View Post
So a dataset will always overwrite the main database regardless of being set as a resource?
Simply put yes. Replace Thing ID happens WAY BEFORE anything about Sources is Checked.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 24th, 2017, 12:14 PM
I think to make it clearer, using "Replace Thing" will always over-ride regardless of whether the Source is selected. It is not that a "dataset" will do so; it is specifically the use of Replace Thing ID.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ashuramarsh

Old January 24th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I would think; but, I have never had the issue of the skill in question not switching to the proper one. The skill in question is Disable Device. I am using the d20 star wars data someone made awhile back for a game I run on friday nights.

I also run another pathfinder game for others. Up until the most recent patch, at least when I noticed it could have been the pathfinder update since I have not been using that one until just recently; but before then if I made a pathfinder rogue, disable device used the pathfinder rules, showed its description and so forth. If I made a character for d20SW, then the disable device would display the description and such for that skill.

But recently, since I noticed it earlier, while working with a pathfinder character, the D20SW descriptions, stat bonus and such was being used. I have changed nothing about that.

But I solved it for now by just deleting the d20SW Disable Device. Not ideal, but what can I do?
ashuramarsh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 24th, 2017, 02:59 PM
You sure that this is using Replace Thing ID and not some other method? If you "deleted" the skill with Replace Thing ID your current characters should be complaining when you open them.

If that is not the case and only the Desc was being updated maybe some issue "is" happening. Honestly I would most likely need to see the .user files to figure it out.

But I can guarantee that Replace Thing ID has always worked the way we mention above.

My last question would be you just list sense the last "update". But you don't mention if that was Hero Lab update or Pathfinder game system update. It makes a big difference....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ashuramarsh

Old January 24th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Hero Lab update was the last update I did a couple days ago before starting this campaign.

Yeah, I get no complaints from the character at all when opening it. The Pathfinder Disable Device skill is listed just fine.

In the D20 Star Wars dataset, they made a new skill since Disable Device was based off of Intelligence. in the Replaces Thing ID text box they had skDisable typed in. I did remove that at one point and I believe both Disable Device skills were showing up at that time.
ashuramarsh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote