Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

WayneLigon

Old July 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There is no dependency between Hero Lab and the Cheeseweasel site. You should be able to run Hero Lab without any issues, even if the Cheeseweasel site is down. You won't be able to retrieve new material from the Cheeseweasel site, but all material that you've already pulled off the Cheeseweasel site is now local to Hero Lab and can be used without needing further access to the website.
What's happened is this. I updated to the latest version, 3.6c. When I start HL, it keeps trying to check for updates. It keeps doing that forever. If I stop it, it says it can't get download updates at this time. I downloaded the update file directly from you, but everytime HL starts, it just searches for updates forever.

If I stop it and load a game system, it tells me it's running in demo mode.

I have my license number. Trying to re-activate it, it says it cannot reach the licensing server every single time. No AV stuff I have has ever interfered with it before, and I even turned off my AV.

Update. Removed Hero Lab, downloaded from site, Pathfinder and M&M HLs. Imported both into HL (which still continuously tries to run an update), tried to re-activate license: still told it can't reach the license server. Made sure Window Firewall has an exception for Hero Lab.

Last edited by WayneLigon; July 24th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
WayneLigon is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old July 25th, 2010, 07:27 AM
HI there, I just wanted to re-state what Rob was saying. The www.cheeseweasel.net site is not part of Hero Lab or Lone Wolf Development. It is a fan site with user created content only. Hero Lab does not connect to the Cheeseweasel.net site. You would need to download any files from the Cheeseweasel.net site and load them into HL yourself.

As for the issue you are having, you might try running HL in Admin mode. I find with some updates it works smoother if I start HL up in Admin mode. To do that all you need to do is right click over the icon for HL and select "Run as Administrator". It should be the 2nd item on the list that appears.

Hope this help.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Recently, Rob reposted the full instructions for diagnosing that sort of connection problem:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=41654&postcount=4

I'd recommend you try the steps there, and see if that can help you with the update procedure.
Mathias is online now   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 25th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLigon View Post
What's happened is this. I updated to the latest version, 3.6c. When I start HL, it keeps trying to check for updates. It keeps doing that forever. If I stop it, it says it can't get download updates at this time. I downloaded the update file directly from you, but everytime HL starts, it just searches for updates forever.

If I stop it and load a game system, it tells me it's running in demo mode.

I have my license number. Trying to re-activate it, it says it cannot reach the licensing server every single time. No AV stuff I have has ever interfered with it before, and I even turned off my AV.

Update. Removed Hero Lab, downloaded from site, Pathfinder and M&M HLs. Imported both into HL (which still continuously tries to run an update), tried to re-activate license: still told it can't reach the license server. Made sure Window Firewall has an exception for Hero Lab.
I've forked this topic into a separate thread so that it's more easily discoverable by others who may run into this problem in the future. Please see the post below.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=10892
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote