Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

joepacelli

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:52 AM
Just wanted to know if there are other fellow gamers out there that use gaming terrains.
Dwarven Forge is currently having their 5th Kickstarter of their gaming tiles and there is 1 week left for this current kickstarter.

The first 4 previous kickstarters did Dungeon Tiles, Caverns, Cities & Sewers, and then Castles.
And now they are going back to the Dungeon with plenty of new tiles.

They have
Elevations,
Terrain Trays
Curbed Dias
Burrows
Traps
LED pieces

There are plenty of pledge levels for what they are calling the Dungeon of Doom a Dungeon over 14' when fully assembled, but you don't need to get everything if you don't need it.
You can build your on pledge, and there are over 50+ Add-Ons currently covering all the different type of pieces.

Check it out and watch some of the video links they have posted
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ve/description
joepacelli is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:06 AM
I have some dwarven forge stuff from long ago. I now just 3d print all my terrains, I backed a couple of kick starters for DragonLock, plus Thingverse.com has a lot of free models. It's nice because I can print exactly what I need.
Toblakai is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 3rd, 2017, 07:23 AM
I have some but I haven't run or hosted a dungeon crawl since I got them so they just sit in their box. :(

Edit: Do not message me about this. It's not an eBay listing.

Last edited by Parody; July 3rd, 2017 at 08:58 PM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
joepacelli

Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:48 AM
If you are willing to sell any of them let me know. Just send me a message. I might be interested.
joepacelli is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:20 AM
Dwarven Forge is amazing. It is a testament to one man's commitment to excellence.

But it is simply not price realistic for me at least.

For the same price as one mid sized package of Dwarven Forge I got a good 3d printer and a bunch of Dragonlock files. I print what I need and paint them as I have time.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepacelli View Post
Check it out and watch some of the video links they have posted
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ve/description
I have allot of Dwarven forge from all previous kickstarters. This time though I am not seeing allot that I "have" to have. Allot looks similar to what I already got and with the price its hard to want to spend money when its only a little different.

I do love the stuff and use it often in games. It can be hard to setup on the fly except for some of the dungeon dressing pieces (tables, pillars, etc). I mostly use it for the more important fights or combats that I want to stress the terrain more. Players seem to get into making use of the terrain/effects more if they can visually see it.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:54 PM
I have soooo much 3d terrain. But I didn't sell a liver and instead opted for Hirst Arts. This let's me make as much terrain as I like for a much cheaper price.

But...

I have stopped playing with terrain. It was simply too restrictive at the table. Setting up was not a 5 minute affair and if the players wanted to go somewhere else it completely disrupted the flow of the game.

I have since installed a projector that points into a mirror and displays onto the table. This is much more efficient all round and just and enjoyable for the players.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 3rd, 2017, 01:35 PM
@daplunk you actually using a Projector or a TV on the table?

Just wondering cause I setup an actual projector system 15+ years ago and eventually moved away from it. The killer for me was that sense the projector is pointing straight down at the table then your hand causes the image to be blocked when moving a miniature. The shadows are pretty big and it makes it really hard to move a miniature.

Or are you not using real miniatures and projecting characters/monsters also on the projector? I don't think I could a get away from using real miniatures at the game table.

Cost is subjective I guess cause I think it costs too much time to make and paint my own terrain. Much easier for the Dwarven Forge to show up all done and painted and ready to use.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:35 PM
Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!! You have doomed me to a life of poverty!
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:42 PM
@Shadow I'm using a projector. I plan on moving to a table eventually. We plan on moving house and there's a pre-req there for a larger gaming room. That room will one-day proudly host a custom built table with a 70" tv built into it. #dreams

I have a projector mounted onto the roof pointed into a mirror that projects onto the table. We use real miniatures and because the projection comes from directly above the shadows are not an issue. HERE's some pictures

You can see there's very little shadow.

I will never move away from real minis. I have way too many and they are part of the hobby for me.

I agree that time was an issue with Hirst Arts. But again that's just part of the hobby and I enjoy building terrain quite a bit. I still plan on building more terrain in the future but we use it less and less for actual games now.

Pictures of terrain
Pictures of the Tomb of Horrors

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #10 Reply With Quote