Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Dunkin

Old September 30th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Unfortunate.

Tough decisions for the company and tough situations for the employees and those laid off by this restructuring.

Realm Works is still valuable and useful tool in a very niche area of DM campaign management (to my knowledge). Plus, those who have utilized its potential have invested a lot of time in it.

The grim reality looks like RW will not develop further officially. However, I would like to see how the community could continue the potential it still has.

Plus, what about the opportunity of trading RW databases? Some people have done an excellent job in building up rules and private gameworld databases. Is there any opportunity to share that content with others?
Dunkin is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 30th, 2019, 11:49 AM
At this point is anyone even a little bit surprised? It's been almost 7 years of next-to-no communication, user created solutions to functionality gaps, and in-jokes about missing promised features.

Being unable to make a product like this workable in 10 years (since development started) is testament to either terrible design decisions, terrible project management skills, a complete lack of willingness to resource the project properly, or an inability to admit that the product wasn't going anywhere a long time ago, or perhaps a combination of all four. If you couldn't give it the resources to make it work, that should have been (and I suspect it was) clear a long time ago and your customers deserved to know long before this point.

Seriously. 10 years, and you walk away with initial promises unfulfilled.

Poor form. Boo.
MaxSupernova is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old September 30th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
At this point is anyone even a little bit surprised? It's been almost 7 years of next-to-no communication, user created solutions to functionality gaps, and in-jokes about missing promised features.

Being unable to make a product like this workable in 10 years (since development started) is testament to either terrible design decisions, terrible project management skills, a complete lack of willingness to resource the project properly, or an inability to admit that the product wasn't going anywhere a long time ago, or perhaps a combination of all four. If you couldn't give it the resources to make it work, that should have been (and I suspect it was) clear a long time ago and your customers deserved to know long before this point.

Seriously. 10 years, and you walk away with initial promises unfulfilled.

Poor form. Boo.
You left out the true reasons, small (very) business and very poor health of lead developer of software for almost 3 years. The software has not been around for 10 years
Nikmal is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old September 30th, 2019, 12:09 PM
I think as well that it's a bit of overreacting it's not like our life or job depend on it.
Many IT Projects still fail now adays... vor various reasons.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 30th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloranphile View Post
That's a very big bummer. My hope was that we'd get the opportunity to export to web at some point.
I guess you already know that there is a tool which can be used to eventually get you to the web, via create realm export, run tool to convert it to HTML, upload HTML files to web site.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 30th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
You left out the true reasons, small (very) business and very poor health of lead developer of software for almost 3 years. The software has not been around for 10 years
Yes it has.

In the kickstarter (almost 7 years ago) they claimed to have been in development for 3 years.
MaxSupernova is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old September 30th, 2019, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Yes it has.

In the kickstarter (almost 7 years ago) they claimed to have been in development for 3 years.
It was in "development" (beta) not released until after the kickstarter. So hence me saying it has not been around for 10 years.
Nikmal is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 1st, 2019, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
You still GET the content though.. it is not going to go away. So you will be able to use said content like you would any data that you enter yourself. So the value is still there. They just aren't producing more for RW is all. So I would not say that you "blew" the money.. because it is still your content that you can use.
Not true. The data I enter myself can be selectively exported and imported.
EightBitz is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 1st, 2019, 02:09 AM
I have a lot of things I'd like to say on this point, negative and positive.

The one thing I think is worth saying, with all sincerity and honesty is this:
Rob, regarding your health issues, you've been in my thoughts, and I'm glad you're well now.
EightBitz is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 1st, 2019, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Not true. The data I enter myself can be selectively exported and imported.
Not sure where you are going with this though? It is true that you can selectively import/export data to and from your realm that you created. But that is not what was being said above. He was saying that the value of the money he spent to buy product for his realm is no longer there. I disagreed as he is using said product and therefor the value is there.

The data he entered can still be exported if he should choose to do so though.
Nikmal is offline   #40 Reply With Quote