Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Dunkin

Old April 8th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Anyone tried this worldbuilding tool? If so, how does it compare with Realm Works? Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

https://www.worldanvil.com/about
Dunkin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 8th, 2018, 04:14 PM
I tried it.

It's basically an online version of Realm Works with all the weakness of an online tool but the focus is on making websites that are pretty for readers instead of displaying the content in a useful way for the DM.

I really didn't like the UI. It's got a lot of fields and options you can play with but they are just stacked on top of each other. Formatting is a pain as you need to use BBCode.

I despise ads and this would quickly get expensive given you need to pay a subscription to really unlock the power.

It's heading in the right direction and LWD need to get their shit together because competition is coming hard and fast in this direction.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 8th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
It's heading in the right direction and LWD need to get their shit together because competition is coming hard and fast in this direction.
*This*

I don't expect a web interface or a CM anytime soon, but I would like to see at least some of the functionality that's been requested over the past 2 years show up.

The most recent world-builder blogs and twitch channels are starting to drop Realm Works down in the list with City of Brass and World Anvil rising up. Some of the blogs have even went out of their way to call out the lack of RW support and how it seems that the CM and other functionality are stuck in dev hell... LW needs to sidestep this CM/Paizo debacle somehow.

I just don't like the sub model that these other world builders use, especially since they hold content hostage or hide things behind ad revenue. I might not use the cloud service when RW finally "drops" because of it - I hate to constantly pay for something over and over.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old April 8th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
*This*

I don't expect a web interface or a CM anytime soon, but I would like to see at least some of the functionality that's been requested over the past 2 years show up.
Exactly.

I will certainly not spend much money on the CM, but I understand RWs need for additional revenue from it. And I can see, where it will be helpfull for certain GMs.

But most of my DMing is with homebrew worlds and highly customized settings. Yes, I do scavange published material, e.g. for the LotR-Campaign we are playing with our kids. Still, custom calendars, per-character-reveal etc. would be way more usefull for me and my groups. And IMHO implementing them, even two-third-ready, would do much to regain momentum and customer trust.
I would even pay for a major update including these features.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 9th, 2018, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
Exactly.

I will certainly not spend much money on the CM, but I understand RWs need for additional revenue from it. And I can see, where it will be helpfull for certain GMs.

But most of my DMing is with homebrew worlds and highly customized settings. Yes, I do scavange published material, e.g. for the LotR-Campaign we are playing with our kids. Still, custom calendars, per-character-reveal etc. would be way more usefull for me and my groups. And IMHO implementing them, even two-third-ready, would do much to regain momentum and customer trust.
I would even pay for a major update including these features.
Just because you're not going to spend money on the content market, that doesn't mean you have no use for it's feature set. One of the things that's supposed to be implemented with the content market is the ability to share realms. So say you're building a particularly large, encyclopedic realm for your gaming world. With the ability to share realms, you can create separate realms for various adventures and integrate only what you need from your larger, encyclopedic realm.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 9th, 2018, 02:36 AM
Don't we have that already?

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old April 9th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
supposed to be implemented with the content market
I think this statement (which you are echoing from LW) is the core of the issues folks are lighting the torches and pitchforks over. EVERYTHING is supposed to be implemented with the CM or shortly after the CM. The release of the CM has slowly scuttled further and further away.
dungeonguru is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old April 9th, 2018, 03:50 AM
Sorry, EightBlitz, but I think you misread my post. There are a few select things I am inclined to buy from the CM. So, I will have use for the feature set tightly associated with the CM.

But, on the whole to me the CM is only a way to generate revenue for LWL, even though I completely understand and support their need for it.

And, like daplunk said, we already have the ability to share realms, albeit somewhat cumbersone. And I am glad for that ability.

But regarding to large and complex realms I rather want to have one single realm for every era of my gameworld and reveal snippets per character since my campaigns tend to interact (e.g. in our Shadowrun campaigns the runner PCs got "interviewed" from the military PCs after their visit to the Renraku arcology leaked through...). And therefore I really need custom calendars and per-character-reveal. And, maybe a 64-bit version of RW.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old April 9th, 2018, 03:56 AM
I doubt the business model is focused only on CM as the main revenue. Having a competition in the face of Roll20 Marketplace and Fantasy Grounds Store with quite rich catalog of items, it will be a bad decision.

There is something we maybe forget - cloud storage and sync. This will will have a cost, occurring. And with a CLOUD copy of your database content, it is matter of deploying a good presentation layer for your players. SHould not be that hard with Hero Labs Online out now and the experience they are starting to accumulate with it.

All those web platforms, I just ignore, no matter how flashy they are. The subscription model is no-go for personal and hobby use IMO.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 9th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Majority of people are turning to One Note from the conversations I'm seeing around the place.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #10 Reply With Quote