Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mystic Lemur

Old February 8th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Any comment on why the 5e SRD is not going to be an initial offering? My guess would be that it was too "crunchy" for RW users, who seem to have a stated preferance for adventure content. However, I agree it would have been nice to have something to offer 5e GMs.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 9th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
Any comment on why the 5e SRD is not going to be an initial offering? My guess would be that it was too "crunchy" for RW users, who seem to have a stated preferance for adventure content. However, I agree it would have been nice to have something to offer 5e GMs.
I don't think the SRD is something WotC sells, in any format. I would assume the SRD will be done by the community.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 04:03 AM
Given LWD did the SRD for HL I would suspect it's something they will do.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old February 9th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Given LWD did the SRD for HL I would suspect it's something they will do.
It would be nice to have confirmation of this one way or the other.
the_redbeard is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old February 9th, 2017, 02:06 PM
It's not formal confirmation, but wasn't the SRD listed in the priorities section of LWD's new 5E survey?
Dr_Automaton is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old February 9th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Automaton View Post
It's not formal confirmation, but wasn't the SRD listed in the priorities section of LWD's new 5E survey?
? Huh? I recall a Pathfinder survey but not a 5e one.
the_redbeard is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_redbeard View Post
? Huh? I recall a Pathfinder survey but not a 5e one.
New survey is at the very bottom of this announcement.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old February 10th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
New survey is at the very bottom of this announcement.
Thanksya
the_redbeard is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 10th, 2017, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffneyks View Post
That's it? Focus on Pathfinder as usual. Nothing for 5th edition. You initial release is Pathfinder and some images?
Actually, the fact that we only mentioned Pathfinder content was a completely unintentional brainfart on our part. We've actually got an assortment of non-Pathfinder stuff that will be included in the initial launch, but the two items we chose for the non-Paizo section happened to also be Pathfinder. So that's just an honest oops on our part with the two we picked.

If you look all the way back to the Kickstarter, our focus has always extended to other game systems beyond Pathfinder. For example, we'll have Masks and Eureka from Engine Publishing in the initial CM launch - both amazing resources for ANY game system you happen to play. We'll have a little bit of Savage Worlds material. We're pursuing a variety of additional stuff, as well.

As for D&D5E, we will be supporting the SRD and an assortment of non-Wizards 5E products. However, the 5E stuff primarily won't be in the initial wave, so it won't be immediately available. [EDIT: We planned to do it as a focused follow-on wave. Given the reactions from folks, we may make some small adjustments.]

Food for thought: If we weren't planning to provide 5E support, there wouldn't have been any compelling reason for us to put the 5E game system structure into place, right? But we did include it. Just something to consider here.

Quote:
And why make the 5th edition people wait for the import/export if they weren't even going to have anything in the content market they could purchase?
That was a completely unrelated matter that was explained in both the forums and release notes. Let's stay focused on what we will and won't be supporting in the CM.

Quote:
I am beginning to think that you might not even have WOTC on board and if I want to run a Forgotten Realms campaign i will have to enter it all myself or just give up on using Realm Works.
We will not have official Wizards content in the initial CM launch, and I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion from anything we've ever said. There are a huge number of complexities in securing a license with Wizards and then bringing their products to market. At a minimum, there would be press releases about the license prior to anything being offered in the CM. If your priority is official D&D5E material, then we won't be able to provide that for at least a little while longer. Until we can provide official D&D5E material, the Forgotten Realms would need to be entered yourself. I'm sorry if that's not the news you were hoping to hear...

Last edited by rob; February 10th, 2017 at 11:34 PM.
rob is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 10th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
Are the images going to be just usable for Realm Works? Are they Royalty free ones? $5 for 10 images is high if they are not going to be Royalty free and usable only in Realm Works. You can go buy royalty free images for about that price or maybe a little bit more on several sites.
The images and maps will be for use within RW - not outside of it. RW's security will let users drop the artwork into any realm they want, but the artwork won't be extractable from RW for outside use.

There are definitely images and maps available for similar prices that are royalty-free for re-use. There are plenty of images and maps that are available for cheaper through various sites. I'm sure we'll provide a wide assortment of that material through the CM, given a little bit of time, but that's not our initial focus.

Quite a few exceptionally talented cartographers and artists never make their work available through sites like DTRPG. They feel that doing so immediately makes it easy for that art to be shared, and they don't want to enable that. Our goal is to bring the art/maps from some of these gifted folks to RW users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
Also, how are art/map packs going to be submitted to the Content Market?
We're assembling the initial set of art/map packs. All user submissions will go through the same process, whether it's art/map packs, a module, or a setting. I believe that BJ is still finalizing the official portal for this purpose, so the specifics are forthcoming.
rob is offline   #40 Reply With Quote