Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

lady_quixote

Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:02 PM
I'm trying to help out a DM of a 3.5 game add a custom race into HeroLabs.

The good news is that I've been able to create the base structure of the class, but am having problems adding a few of the special abilities.

I was able to create a Special in the General Tab for the Racial Saving Throw bonus but for some reason I can't see it when trying to add it to the Race. What might I be doing wrong?

Special Abilities I'm trying to add:
Gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy , Sense Motive , and Gather Information checks. Additionally one of these (players choice) is considered a class skill.
+3 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.

Thank you for your help
Marissa
lady_quixote is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Scarr

Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:35 AM
So, you can't choose it in the bootstraps?

I am by no means an expert, but I just tried it, and after I tested it (left top button), I was able to add it myself.

https://i.gyazo.com/c1daa9508444cd79...4ccfc943d8.png
https://i.gyazo.com/2d339fb6f99f5aaf...1e06573cd5.png
https://i.gyazo.com/8a84fd644aa34c00...a2a12ed0af.png
Scarr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
lady_quixote

Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:46 AM
Correct it doesn't appear in the bootstrap and as far as I know I did something similar to you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Special.png (414.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Source.png (314.2 KB, 3 views)
lady_quixote is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_quixote View Post
I'm trying to help out a DM of a 3.5 game add a custom race into HeroLabs.

The good news is that I've been able to create the base structure of the class, but am having problems adding a few of the special abilities.

I was able to create a Special in the General Tab for the Racial Saving Throw bonus but for some reason I can't see it when trying to add it to the Race. What might I be doing wrong?

Special Abilities I'm trying to add:
Gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy , Sense Motive , and Gather Information checks. Additionally one of these (players choice) is considered a class skill.
+3 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.

Thank you for your help
Marissa
Once you create a special, you have to compile the data before it will be available for bootstrapping. Alternatively, you can copy the thingid and paste it into the boostrap area. HL won't know what it is until you compile, though (CTRL-R in a portfolio or "switch game systems" to the same thing).
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
lady_quixote

Old February 3rd, 2018, 05:06 PM
Yup that was it. odd but it worked.

Do you have any ideas how to do the Skills bit?

I can't find a way to give a skill bonus with a special or in the race section. I did find under an Eberron race using a script to give a special a class skill but don't know how to work a selection work.

There is only one player who is playing this so I could hard code it at the moment, but would like to try this at least once.

Thank you once again.
Marissa
lady_quixote is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 12th, 2018, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_quixote View Post
Yup that was it. odd but it worked.

Do you have any ideas how to do the Skills bit?

I can't find a way to give a skill bonus with a special or in the race section. I did find under an Eberron race using a script to give a special a class skill but don't know how to work a selection work.

There is only one player who is playing this so I could hard code it at the moment, but would like to try this at least once.

Thank you once again.
Marissa
Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, when you make a special in the General tab, you can't give it a selection. There are only four things that can provide selections:

Feats
Traits/Flaws
Class Specials
Adjustments

Not everyone has Traits/Flaws enabled in their settings so I tend to avoid this one for cases like this, though if you're group does use them it could be an option.

You can't bootstrap class specials to a racial special, so that won't work, and adjustments are really best for being added manually.

So that leaves us feats. You can create a feat for the sole purpose of selecting which skill to add as a class skill. When you create the feat, you'll need to add the tag "Helper.Helper" otherwise it will show up as an available feat to take for any character.

You'll also need to set up a Custom Expression for the specific feats you want available to choose from:

Code:
component.BaseSkill & (thingid.kDiplomacy | thingid.kSensMot | thingid.GatherInf)
Then you'll need an eval script to pull the ClassSkill tag from the chosen skill and assign it to all classes. It would probably look something like this, though I haven't tested it out yet.

Code:
~ We're done if nothing has been chosen.
doneif (field[fChosen].ischosen = 0)

~ Pull Class Skill tag from chosen skill.
perform field[fChosen].chosen.pulltags[ClassSkill.?]

~ Loop through our classes and assign the pulled tag from above
foreach pick in hero from BaseClHelp
    perform eachpick.pushtags[ClassSkill.?]
nexteach
I imagine this could take place within Pre-Levels, but I don't know that for sure.

Let me know if you have any trouble, and I can work it out if need be.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
lady_quixote

Old February 18th, 2018, 05:41 AM
oops, sorry forgot to reply.

That worked, I appreciate all of the help.

Thank you and have a great rest of your weekend.
Marissa
lady_quixote is offline   #7 Reply With Quote