Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Teresa

Old March 8th, 2016, 07:06 AM
I also use Excel and deal with a long time span: my calendar starts roughly about 9700BCE on the spring equinox, and from then on I have to relate it to the Gregorian calendar (all the way to about 2500CE). My biggest fear with RW is how to make the transition, as my months depend on the solstices and equinoxes which depend on the Earth's perihelion and aphelion (I have managed some approximated data and created a formula to get my months duration in Excel)

I wonder how well RW calendar will deal with these seemingly random duration variations and if it will never really allow me to let go of the Excel file.
Teresa is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
joepacelli

Old March 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Does RW have the ability to execute external applications. If so I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to build a standalone calendar app that could be launched from RW.
I know it's not the same as it being integrated into the product itself, but it may work.

I myself started to develop my own Campaign Management software a few years ago when I played 4th edition.
I had a calendar system within my app, allowing you to define everything;
Seasons
Months
Days per month
Hours per day
Minutes

But I got too focused on being able to import character and creature data and then I stopped playing 4th edition and switched to Pathfinder.

My gaming group is not really interested in RW and the only reason I've not purchased it yet is we are finishing up RotRL module now and not sure what we plan to do next.

If we plan to play Pathfinder and they want me to run another campaign, then I will definitely purchase it.
But if someone else wants to GM a different game of even Pathfinder and I become a player, then I will wait until the time comes and I need to purchase it.
joepacelli is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 9th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Yes, you can launch an external app, but I don't know that you would be able to have it write back to RW. What I looked into a while back was having an app where I could input one date and it would spit out the dates in the other calendar systems, so I could easily cut and past in RW. I ended up just using a spreadsheet instead.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #53 Reply With Quote