Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vargr

Old August 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM
If LW need a betatester for the Calendar system, then I am game!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 11th, 2015, 12:05 PM
I know that they used to have some sort of custom-calendar functionality. Part of the reason that I bought the tool was because I saw a video that showed this. Unfortunately, I didn't carefully read the feature lists and descriptions before buying, so I didn't realize until after buying that custom calendars are not supported. But fortunately, after a bit of whining, I started to use it (could not find any campaign-management tool that came close to RW in terms of features) and quickly found value in using it even without custom calendars.

BUT, I think I would rather have an imperfect custom-calendar functionality than nothing at all. For those who were beta testers, what about the early custom-calendar functionality was so broken that they just removed it (hid it/deactivated it) altogether?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 11th, 2015, 12:28 PM
My recollection was that the UI needed considerable work to be user friendly (or even to just become usable by non-experts).

My thoughts: The effort necessary to support a system that wasn't complete and could change would have been a PR nightmare for Liz. And even if those issues were trivial, having to explain to users over and over that calendars are not complete and what was still coming and that it would be revised in a year or so would become an enormous time sink (and continuing PR nightmare) for LWD. And in the end, the majority of users would be just as dissatisfied anyways. By not implementing, they stick to "it's coming and users gave us our prioritization" and they have solid ground to stand on.
AEIOU is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old August 11th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Maybe the beta version could be opened up for interested parties, then you could use this unwieldy advanced calendar?
I would beta test it. I would beta test its brains out.
Erdrix is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 11th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Yes, where do we sign up for beta testing and imput as to how the GUI could be done??

We who eagerly await the calendar system, should be willing to help in beta testing and in providing more structured suggestions as to the GUI.

That is, if it would be of any help at all for LW.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; August 11th, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
Vargr is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 11th, 2015, 10:20 PM
If you were around during the Kickstarter, you had the opportunity to pay $500 to be part of the Beta team.

If you came in later, are you willing to kick in another $450 or so?

Parody is online now   #26 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old August 11th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I don't know about $450, that's probably a bit steep, but I'd be prepared to pay $200 so that someone who needs it could beta test it.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 11th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
I don't know about $450, that's probably a bit steep, but I'd be prepared to pay $200 so that someone who needs it could beta test it.
It looks like the Kickstarter gave LWD 50 beta testers, some of whom are probably quite eager to test out any new functionality :-)
Farling is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
kylania

Old August 12th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
If you were around during the Kickstarter, you had the opportunity to pay $500 to be part of the Beta team.

If you came in later, are you willing to kick in another $450 or so?
No. Maybe if you gave me 15 years of cloud service for free in return.

Paying $500 during a Kickstarter makes sense for that kind of thing, you're supporting the initial creation of the product and getting to use the product before it's generally available.

But it's out now and it's for sale so asking for that much money for what should actually be a paid career is a bit insane.
kylania is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I'd reckon that beta testing is going to be invite only at this point and I haven't heard of anyone ever being added from the community after launch. The Kickstarter infused new blood but they already had a strong group of testers with a lot of experience. I trust the input from current beta testers and their applaud their willingness to screw up their realms for the greater good.
AEIOU is offline   #30 Reply With Quote