Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

noahfidanque

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I am probably not the first with this idea, or the last most likely. I use Army Builder for my Warhammer and Warhammer 40K games, and love it. But with the fact that I have a very large collection of models, and am always adding something new to one or another army, it would be very handy to not only have a tool for building my army lists, but also to have a tool that also allowed me to track what models I currently own. I have found myself tracking my collection with excel spreadsheets, and having to double-check my list against my collection, to make sure I have the models I need with the options I have selected.

What I envision is a tool I could use to maintain the list of models I own for each army, maybe with the most obvious "wysiwyg" options (like weapons) for the models (with the option to pick "all" if, say, I used magnets for the weapons load). Then, when building an army, I could either free-form build a list (i.e. no collection list to compare to) or select a model collection to chose from. This would either a) limit what models I could choose from or b) give me a warning / error if I pick models I do not own. This would be especially powerful if you could tag the model list with, say, case numbers. That way, for someone like me, I'd not only be able to find the models I need, but I'd know what cases I need to take with me to the game, along with the option kits I need to pack. Or, using a list I've built compared to what I own, it could tell me what I need to BUY… The game companies would love that one, no???

Most likely this would not be the easiest "upgrade" to the tool, requiring some internal changes to the way you deal with data. But approaching this as an information / data architect, I was starting to put together a database and front-end tool to be able to do this, when I though "damn, I love Army Builder, I should just see what they think…" Plus, to be honest, I don't have the time to really devote to this to give me the level of usability I'd really want. But I know I'd be willing to shell out some $$$ for a tool that did this.

Considering the fact I own three Warhammer armies (around 25,000 points of models) and am working on my fifth 40K army (with my Tau force over 20,000 points on it's own), I have A LOT of models to keep track of, with many many cases that look almost 100% alike, it would be nice to know what I have and where it is... If you want to get fancy, adding a "wish list" might be nice too Especially if I could track the cost, so I can budget my purchases…

Thanks,
Noah Fidanque
Enterprise Information Management - Information & Data Architecture, The Boeing Corporation
noahfidanque is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.p...sked_questions

Here's a FAQ from the website - the last item mentions that inventory management has been in planning for a long time.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
noahfidanque

Old November 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
LOL... I figured I wasn't the first to mention it, but did not see anything directly talking about it on the forums. Of course, I never thought to look at the FAQ...
noahfidanque is offline   #3 Reply With Quote