Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Silveras

Old January 18th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Spellbook extended functionality has been suggested from time to time here on the forums. The problem is that the use of spellbooks has diversified as the game has evolved, and not everyone agrees on what is necessary and what is "extra". With the release of the Arcane Anthology, a Player Companion based around specific spellbooks, and inspired by the really nice work done to support Polymorph options, I am posting this to try to suggest some enhanced spellbook functionality, and to define what is "basic", "advanced", and "extra".. for which I invite others to comment.

Unlike ShadowChemosh's gear items that calculates the number of books required to hold the character's current spells, each of these items should represente a separate physical book because the spellbooks can be loot gained from an enemy, or can be lost or stolen.

Base Functionality
  • User Text: For the owner's name, and for identifying notes needed to know which book set came from what source, etc. The existing gear items do not meet this requirement, but such is an easy thing to create in the Editor.
  • Carryable Item: Spellbooks can be lost or stolen, so they need to be a carryable item, capable of being stored in a container. The existing gear item meets this requirement. The Spellbook mechanism does not meet this requirement.
  • Distinct from existing Spellbook: Players may choose for their characters to create multiple copies, some with different content, such as Traveling Spellbooks or Compact Spellbooks. They would also need to be transferable to another character for the case where enemy spellcaster's spellbooks are looted. The existing gear items meet this requirement. ShadowChemosh's spellbooks do not meet this requirement, as they auto-calculate from the character's Spellbook mechanism.
  • Optional: Not all GMs will want to use this option for their games, so it should be separate from the existing Spellbook functionality for spellcasters. Also, although Witches are "Spellbook" casters, they do not have physical books and cannot make copies of their familiars, etc.
  • Multiple Types: Alchemist Formulae books should have appropriate items.
  • Automated Calculation: Based on the spellbook type (Standard, Traveling, or Compact; Spellbook or Formulae book as of this writing), the book should calculate the number of used/remaining pages, base value, and sale value of the book. ShadowChemosh's enhanced items calculate the number of books required to hold the spells in the existing Spellbook mechanism.
  • Table of Spells: Because each book can have different contents, there should be a table to add spells (much like for Scrolls), which tabulates the cost of adding the spells. A "Buy for Free" is needed because the 2 new spells gained by Wizards at new levels do not have any cost to write into the spellbook. Spells whose required number of pages exceed the available remaining pages in the book should be flagged with a warning. The existing gear items, and ShadowChemosh's enhanced gear items, do not support this.

Advanced Functionality
  • Tracking Readability: Mostly for captured or borrowed spellbooks, tracking which spells have been deciphered and understood by the caster would be useful.
  • Support for Ultimate Magic format features: Support for a physical description of the spellbook's cover and pages, as well as Preparation Ritual.
  • Support for Protections: Support for enhancements to saving throws against energy, etc., including Hardness and Hit Points of the book.
  • Dossier for contents: A separate printing/PDF Dossier option to show the contents of these spellbooks, with the header for each spellbook giving the name, owner, physical description (if implemented), preparation ritual description (if implemented), and value before the list of spells.
  • Support for variable page counts, scribing costs, and DCs for understanding: Based on the Cypher Script feat.

Bells and Whistles
  • Support for non-spell contents: Support for trapped pages in between the spells.

Last edited by Silveras; February 8th, 2016 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added new item.
Silveras is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 18th, 2016, 03:29 PM
That's a good summary, Silveras.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 18th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
That's a good summary, Silveras.
Thanks.. I hope it leads to some useful discussion.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old January 19th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I particularly like the "Tracking Readability" idea. It would have to record the Spellcraft rank at which an attempt was last made to determine whether another can be made. Maybe with a check to say that it has?
Azhrei is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 19th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
I particularly like the "Tracking Readability" idea. It would have to record the Spellcraft rank at which an attempt was last made to determine whether another can be made. Maybe with a check to say that it has?
I think it would make sense to treat the binary "success/fail" status of the understanding as an "Advanced" feature, and the last attempted DC as an "Extra".
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bishop37
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 29th, 2016, 12:57 PM
It would also need options to change the values (cost, pages) for spells, as some feats and abilities (such as Cypher Script from Inner Sea World Guide) change them (this would probably be done on a per spell basis, rather than the entire spellbook).
Bishop37 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 29th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post
It would also need options to change the values (cost, pages) for spells, as some feats and abilities (such as Cypher Script from Inner Sea World Guide) change them (this would probably be done on a per spell basis, rather than the entire spellbook).
What "rank" would you consider that? "Base Functionality", "Advanced Functionality", or "Bells and Whistles" entry?

Part of my intent with this thread was not only to gather such things, but to try to work out which ones are most needed. Thanks for contributing!
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bishop37
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 29th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Probably as "Base Functionality" if only because not allowing for it from the start would likely require rewriting the base code later, not simply adding additional functionality.
Bishop37 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 8th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop37 View Post
Probably as "Base Functionality" if only because not allowing for it from the start would likely require rewriting the base code later, not simply adding additional functionality.
I have edited the root post to add this to "Advanced Functionality".

Reasoning: Having it in the post at all serves as a "heads-up" to plan for addition later. The functionality itself is limited to characters who take the Feat mentioned (at this time, anyway), so it is not something I would consider "Base" (expected to be usable in all campaigns, including home-brew).
Silveras is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 13th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Alright, I'm taking this on as a non-paid side project. Because I have other, paid demands on my time, progress might be slow.

Right now I am thinking the form will be divided into 3 sections.

The Header section will have information like current/max number of pages (max pages will default to some number based on the item, but be an incrementer which can increase or decrease that page count), cost of all spells in spellbook, a section for notes/description, and an incrementer for the number of tables in the last section (min 1, max 3).

The Mid section will have a static table for any preparation rituals (or any other abilities the spellbook grants), and a user added table for the spells in the book. All spells in the table will have two checkboxes, for "Understood" and "Free Scribe". Probably for conveniece there will be an "Understand All" and "Free Scribe All" button above this table.

The Association section will be a number of tables, each with a selector that chooses a spellbook casting class (other than witches I guess) that the spells in that table belong to. Users can click and drag spells from the table in Mid to any of these tables to associate them as spells known with the selected class. If a user tries to move a spell which is not understood from the pool table to an association table, either a notify window will pop up saying "No!" (if I can do that), or I will add a validation error after the fact (if the notify is not possible). If the spell is one of their free scribes, it will add 1 to the "free spells scribed" field of that class (which I will have to add, including logic to calculate how many free scribes are available for that class, default 2/level). I suppose I will have to add the Free Scribe checkbox to existing spellbook mechanisms as well. If a user knows the same spell for two different classes, add two copies to the pool, and move each to a different association pool (this might throw off value/page calculations for the book? Need a "duplicate" checkbox maybe? Ugh, hate multiple checkboxes, I'll think on it).

Background Mechanics
I'm going to need to create a gizmo and several helper objects for this gizmo, one for the pool table (for the candidate expression), and one for each association table (for the selector of the class to associate with, and also to verify that all spells moved into that table are indeed valid selections for the class in question, and to add the proper Spellbook tag to the spells in the table).
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote