Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old August 9th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
Colen, one of our staff members, tested Realm Works on his Windows 10 preview and (in his words) "it works great!"
I just realized you called me Colen?! Who's Colen?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 9th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
I just realized you called me Colen?! Who's Colen?
She'd referring to Colen McAlister, lead developer for the Hero lab side of things.
Aaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old August 9th, 2015, 09:34 AM
DOH! Why is it I went back and did not see what I saw when she originally posted that?
Must be one of those days...brain needs to be rebooted...

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old August 13th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Update:

I've been using RW on my laptop since the preview started. Had zero issues.

It's been a few weeks, and I'm putting in all the SR Missions for Season 5 that I own. I've had ZERO issues.

In fact, it seems to run slightly better under Windows 10 than 8.1/8/7.

This is of course not verifiable, but my main PC has RW installed on a SSD Raid 0 Array (2 SSD's, striped for speed). My laptop is running a laptop HDD. Can't remember the speed, but not awesome-tastic (it's not even a hybrid drive, just a plain old HDD).

I swear to Nuffle, that the Laptop was opening, loading, and performing better under Windows 10 than the PC under 8.1 90% of the time.

OH, and the PC is WAY better than the laptop in all respects.

PC = 4770k i7 @4.0 GHz threaded (stable OC'd at 3.0), 16 Gig RAM, Geforce 700ti
Laptop = 4720HQ i7 @2.6GHz, 8 Gig RAM, Geforce 960m

I upgraded the PC to 10 and it destroys RW. Loads huge realms in about a second or so, duplicating topics is about .25 seconds, etc...

All in all, if you're a big RW user, in there all the time, and you don't upgrade to Windows 10, you're shooting yourself in the foot.
Pollution is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old August 13th, 2015, 05:31 AM
If anyone can't open RW because of the "backups" issue, it's a permissions thing.

Navigate to where you can see the folder which contains the backup files, right-click, properties, security, edit, and grant full permissions to users as well as system and administrators.

That should sort you.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old August 14th, 2015, 06:07 AM
@Pollution

Most people should notice an improvement in general performance with windows 10 in almost every aspect of heir day to day lives.

Windows 10 is much lighter than any previous windows, it even has frightening low specs for a modern OS.

I am surprised you strip your SSDs, there is not the gain there you should get, this is where the new Intel 170 chipset is miles ahead of Z97. You can and will flood the Sata bus long before your SSDs can hit their max performance. MSIs new M7 gaming mobo is a star here,, with two M.2 slots allowing for 32GBs of bandwidth, although two top performance M.2 socket SSDs will flood that stripped as well.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
If anyone can't open RW because of the "backups" issue, it's a permissions thing.

Navigate to where you can see the folder which contains the backup files, right-click, properties, security, edit, and grant full permissions to users as well as system and administrators.

That should sort you.
+1, sorta.

I notice my "Documents" folder has Administrators added (which my ID is in) but not my actual login user id. Adding that fixes the issue...however

Upon reboot it seems to remove said user. Frustrating. So reboot after changing permissions and make sure they stick! Still looking for a permanent solution.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Those permissions are normally inherited; try checking the permissions of your Users folder (typically C:\Users\(your account)\ ).

Parody is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old August 14th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Looks to me like Windows 10 now offers 2 kinds of login. There is the local login that you can switch to after an upgrade. But it seems to default to a Microsoft Cloud login that ties your previous version of windows local login permissions to the new login. I don't know if that is a problem or not when it comes to some of the permission issues people are having.
Viking2054 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old August 15th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Most people should notice an improvement in general performance with windows 10 in almost every aspect of heir day to day lives.
Would that that were true. I spent 12 hours yesterday with Microsoft support after Windows 10 made an absolute hash of my desktop computer and ruined my primary account - to which RW is tied on that machine.

It's not fixed even now, and I suspect I'm going to have to pay someone to fix it or install everything from the bottom up which is going to take days of time I just don't have.

Realm Works works well on Windows 10. Windows 10 however, can be a poisoned chalice. Don't do it unless you're prepared for days of hassle. Not everyone has this problem but you need to be aware that it's possible.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #20 Reply With Quote