Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

whtknt

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
I am trying to update the Savage Worlds dataset to Weird War II.

When I opened the Editor and selected "Open data file," I tried to select the "thing_Hindrances" file for editing to add a new Hindrance. On doing so, the system returned the following message:

"This file is not present in the folder for the active game system. You may view the contents of the file, but not modify it."

As I retrieved it from C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\savage\source, where else might it be?

So I tried instead editing the XML file directly using Notepad. I was able to successfully do so, and added the Bullet Magnet Hindrance. I went back into Hero Lab, recompiled the data files, opened the editor, and told it to test the new Hindrance and was able to successfully add it to a character.

However, when I exited and returned to Hero Lab, it is gone, with no trace of ever having existed. What happened?

So then I decided to add a new Derived Trait; Sanity. This time, I opened a "New data file" from within the editor and proceeded to add the Sanity trait. I used the Toughness trait as a baseline, so I'm pretty sure that I got everything right, but even though I have told it to test the Sanity Trait, it does not show up on the dashboard.

Furthermore, when I reopen the ww2.user file (which contains the Sanity trait), I get the same message that I received above about it not being present in the folder for the active game system. Since that is where the program put it, where else would it go?

At this point, my own Sanity is starting to decrease, so please help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Thank you.
whtknt is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Within the editor, select the help menu at the top, and choose "Help on Using the Editor". I believe the "Source Files" section there is what you're looking for.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Okay, I tried creating a new directory and copying the files over, but I get the same message.
whtknt is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Just to double check, when you open the editor within the new game system you've created, do you see all the files in that system's main directory? (Remember that there's no need to retain a source folder for that new game system, since you've made them the main directory).

Also, before going this far, have you tried just creating new content in the editor, placing new files in the default directory? The "Replace Thing Id" option on the right-hand side of each editor entry will let you replace something that's already there, and the *Hidden and *Preclude tabs will let you hide existing things that don't belong in your version.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
So I moved them to the main directory, but I get a different error on loading the game system:

"The data files could not be loaded due to errors. Hero Lab will now attempt to load them in recovery mode. Once loaded, you can access the editor as normal to correct any errors.

The following errors occurred:"

This is followed by a long list of errors, all indicating Duplicate Records.

On the plus side, it doesn't seem to affect the program, and I can now edit the files normally with the editor.
whtknt is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
whtknt

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
What do you mean, "placing new files in the default directory," please? I attempted to create a new data file, but it saved what I presume to be that file in the source directory.
whtknt is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
The source folder is a sub-folder of the correct one. See if it will work if you save your file to that folder.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
tatteredking

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:47 AM
howdy

Yeah your best way to add new content is to create a new .user file for the new content instead of modifying the current files. Modifying the current files will get you in trouble, because when a new update comes out for that, it will overwrite your changes.

What I would do is, when you open the editor, just start creating your new content and save the file as WeirdWarsII.user.

For each thing you create, if you look at the bottom of the center column of options, you will find an option called Sources. If you click on the Edit, it will come up with a list of all the sources that are currently available. Weird Wars II hasn't been done yet, so it wont be there. Go ahead and click - New Source -, at the top, and then OK. It will ask you for a source name, a Unique ID and a Parent Source. Put in Weird Wars II for the Source Name, something along the lines of sWrdWrsII for the Unique ID and leave the Parent Source as is.

What this will do, is it will, when you create a new portfolio, add in a checkbox to include or not include the custom content for Weird Wars. Once you have created your custom content, and set it's source as Weird Wars, it will only appear when you click the Weird Wars checkbox on the Configure Your Character screen.

On Sanity, this is something that is being added in by Wolf Lair directly. Adding new derived traits like that get pretty involved and isn't as easy as adding in a new Edge or Skill.

Once you get an error in a file and it opens up in Recovery Mode, it doesn't show ANY custom content. You can open it up in the editor to fix the error, but until the error is fixed, you will still get the error and it will automatically open in Recovery Mode.

What you may want to do is completely delete your ww2. user file, create it again and create your custom content again.

Last edited by tatteredking; October 24th, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
tatteredking is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Praetor

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:46 PM
user files should be placed in the data file for the game system not the source folder this is just an extra folder with all the source files that were used in compiling the savage worlds syetm data.

Alvin Leadbetter
www.rpden.net
Praetor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote