Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Warrant2K

Old January 28th, 2017, 01:49 PM
New user, love the program, gone through the video tutorials, but...

*BTW, the in-game User Manual seems to be broken. Clicking on any topics gets no response. 30 seconds later I get an error window popup.

1) How do I show the revealed snippets to the players? I know I'll dual-screen, just need help finding the revealed snippet list and properly bringing it up. (not using players licenses - we're playing at a table with a projector)

2) How do I show a consolidated list of all snippets revealed? Sort of like, "Here's what you know so far." Or is that the same thing as #1?

3) Can I print the list of revealed snippets? I'd like for them to keep it as part of a physical journal/map/log thing.

4) Can I export the revealed snippets to, say Google Drive, to make it available out-of-game? Would that also bring any files attached like a map graphic?

Thanks, and thanks for your cordial patience!
Warrant2K is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 28th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the community

Just tested the user manual. The links work find on my end. They open up PDF document externally so perhaps make sure you have Adobe Reader or something similar.

Quote:
1) How do I show the revealed snippets to the players? I know I'll dual-screen, just need help finding the revealed snippet list and properly bringing it up. (not using players licenses - we're playing at a table with a projector)
If you are not using the player version then you don't really need to worry about the revealed snippets in the way you are thinking. Basically the way it works is you, as the GM, click the 'Show In Player View' option. There is a setting you can turn on to Auto-Reveal the snippets when showing in player view. Do this to save yourself time.

Manage Tab > Preferences > Player View > Tick (Auto Reveal When Showing In Player View)

You control what the players see via the control tab that will appear on your screen. This is not interactive to the players BTW. Think of this like a GM bill-board where you can advertise what ever you like and the players can view it.

Quote:
2) How do I show a consolidated list of all snippets revealed? Sort of like, "Here's what you know so far." Or is that the same thing as #1?
It sounds like you would benefit from using the Player Versions to be honest. But to do this with just your copy you click the 'Enter Player Mode' button. This will make RW display the information that only the players can see.

Quote:
3) Can I print the list of revealed snippets? I'd like for them to keep it as part of a physical journal/map/log thing.
No but yes... Realm Works does not natively support printing. EightBitz (an amazing member of our humble community) does support printing though and he is hard at work creating a script that allows us to export our content, turn it into HTML and print it. It's coming along very nicely and incredibly quickly.

Quote:
4) Can I export the revealed snippets to, say Google Drive, to make it available out-of-game? Would that also bring any files attached like a map graphic?
You really want to play with EightBitz script for this. It does support images so maps should come over.

Honestly, check out the player licenses. They aren't that expensive. It sounds like you want to use the tool the way they designed the player version to work.

Of course you can always watch this and then join in the queue of people hanging web access functionality.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Josh, daplunk, and I both did videos that showed how to use reveal with player view. I know I did one.

The basic concept is that you need to reveal the topic to reveal any snippets in the topic. This can trip you up if you don't know it.

There really isn't a way to show a consolidated list of all revealed snippets and that wouldn't make much sense in a big realm. Player view works best as immediate access to material that you are giving the players or have just given the players or that the players know and have tried to recall.

Player version would the tool for players to look at the realm away from the active session, assuming you can get them to use it.

For printing you will want EightBitz's script.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Warrant2K

Old January 28th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

I understand about using the Players License, but I am also doing the whole campaign building thing. The reveal snippets is a side use I see being useful at our table, along with the maps and Fog of War.

I must not be doing it right. I check the title (big button) to reveal the subject, the click the little snippet buttons, but going to Player View shows nothing. CLicking on the little tv icons on the top-right corner changes nothing.

Seems I have to first reveal the item, go to Player View, click Show More Content button, re-select what I just selected, then a pop=out window with that info appears.

Each individual subject appears in it's own window (on top of the last one) that requires moving and resizing. Is that the intent?

(talking myself through this)

After a Subject window is enabled in Player View, revealing snippets in that subject automatically reveal it in the player view.
Warrant2K is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Yes, that is how it works.

You can streamline it somewhat by following daplunk's instructions above to change your preferences so that your reveals are displayed automatically in player view.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 28th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Player View
This is the ability to send content to a second monitor on the same computer.
There's quite a few ways to do this. But try go to a picture and click the down arrow next to the blue play symbol. Click 'Show in Player View'. The player preview window will open. Make sure the icon in the top right of the picture is orange. If not click it. Then on the far right of this tab are the settings on which image to display the image to and an icon of a screen with a little circle. That needs to be orange to display to the players. This system does need the displayed content to have the green circle but per below you can get your settings to automate this for you.

Manage Tab > Preferences > Player View > Tick (Auto Reveal When Showing In Player View)

Yes everything appears in its own window and needs to be resized.

Player Mode
This is the ability for the players to access the content via the player version of the application. All articles have the Fog of World buttons (bluey/green circle next to all snippets). You click them green to enable the players to see things via Player Mode. The big one at the top of the article also needs to be green. You then need to exit back to the realm screen and sync the changes. Once synced the players can access Realm Works Player and sync your changes and see the things you revealed. It is not live.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Warrant2K

Old January 28th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Awesome, I think I got the hang of it now. I've also found other switch settings like the 5-button toolbar next to the selected Subject window. Thanks guys!
Warrant2K is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 28th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Player Mode
This is the ability for the players to access the content via the player version of the application. All articles have the Fog of World buttons (bluey/green circle next to all snippets). You click them green to enable the players to see things via Player Mode. The big one at the top of the article also needs to be green. You then need to exit back to the realm screen and sync the changes. Once synced the players can access Realm Works Player and sync your changes and see the things you revealed. It is not live.
A minor correction.
Player Mode is a tool the GM version has to allow the GM to see things as a player would if the player was using the Player Version of the application.

I make the distinction because there have been minor differences in the past between what is shown in Player Mode vs. what is actually seen by players using the Player Version. So, Player Mode is not how the Player Version works, although the resulting display is nearly identical.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 28th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant2K View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

I understand about using the Players License, but I am also doing the whole campaign building thing. The reveal snippets is a side use I see being useful at our table, along with the maps and Fog of War.

I must not be doing it right. I check the title (big button) to reveal the subject, the click the little snippet buttons, but going to Player View shows nothing. CLicking on the little tv icons on the top-right corner changes nothing.

Seems I have to first reveal the item, go to Player View, click Show More Content button, re-select what I just selected, then a pop=out window with that info appears.

Each individual subject appears in it's own window (on top of the last one) that requires moving and resizing. Is that the intent?

(talking myself through this)

After a Subject window is enabled in Player View, revealing snippets in that subject automatically reveal it in the player view.
I use this (having to sort'o re-reveal the topic again on the player view) to turn on and off what we are talking about. Maybe a map, then they start talking about the lord of the land and I switch his picture on, maybe turning off the map, and so on.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote