Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

adzling

Old March 11th, 2016, 01:17 PM
NOTE! Portions of this post removed by staff due to flagrant violation of forum rules reported by other users...

please please please make the left most pane save the state you left it in vis a vis collapsed /open hierarchies.

Please have it remember the last state I left it in

Last edited by rob; March 12th, 2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Violation of forum rules
adzling is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 11th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Because it is 2016 is the reason it is how it is. The left pane is really 8 viewable left panes which is really infinite left panes which are each dynamic, nestable, invertable and searchable. What you are seeing is actually technology from 2020 and you want it to act like technology from 2025.

Yes it's daft. But it's likely a far cry more complicated than we may understand. And more importantly, there are many other items on their agenda that are just as important to deliver (cf. calendars, printing, export, journals, content market, granular reveal, import, and on and on).
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 15th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Would be nice if the panes could be customized more:
- dockable / floating
- free positioning
- completely hidden
(same with the right pane)

But it's not necessary to deliver this any time soon

@AEIOU: PS I dont get what youre saying with 2016 and 2025 Nestable view? Agreement on the rest

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; March 15th, 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 15th, 2016, 11:06 AM
There is a fuller explanation somewhere but:

The world almanac is just one view of the topics of the realm. You can set up a number of different such views, IIRC 8, at any time and change their contents on the fly. Therefore storing the state of the left pane from session to session is a bigger job than LWD has wanted to tackle to date.
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 15th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Ahh ok those Views I thought we are discussing the left pane :P

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 15th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Ahh ok those Views I thought we are discussing the left pane :P
we are.

Each view has its own left pane.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 15th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Sorry, Acenoid. My response was to adzling whose post was a bit condescending. Rob has removed the offending material so now my snarky post is without context. You can safely ignore the references to timeframes from my post when reading it.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 16th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
we are.

Each view has its own left pane.
If by "view" you mean each defined "View" that filters the contents shown, that's not correct. If by "view" you mean that each TAB has its own "left pane", that is correct.

Two tabs using the same View (filtered set of topics) can have different collapsed/expanded elements in the "left pane" (Navigation pane).

The tabs are stored from session to session.

If you have 10 tabs open while running a game, and close RealmWorks. what tabs were open and what was in each tab, and which View was applied to each tab is stored.

So storing the collapsed/expanded state for each of potentially thousands of entries once per tab becomes the problem... startup time can be slow as it is, and this would make it much slower to load the Realm. Shutdown time can also be slow as it is, and this would also make that much slower.

Because that state is stored while RealmWorks is running, using a lot of tabs can make it slow to switch from one to another... that's the effect of "remembering" the expanded/collapsed state for each tab.

Part of the problem, I think, is that people are used to the "Explorer" style, where the left-hand pane is a common "master" for the content in the main window. In typical "Explorer" style setups, there is only one "Explorer" pane, and only one "Content" pane. So clicking on something (such as a file folder/directory) in the left pane causes the content in the right pane to change. In RealmWorks, the "Navigation pane" is not part of the tab, but its contents are determined by the tab... and then it changes the tab's main content pane as the user clicks on something in the navigation.

Changing the appearance of the Navigation pane ... making it more visually part of the tab, for example... might help with making that relationship clearer.. certainly, even something like making its controls at the top not align with the controls for the main view would make it visually clearer that it is subordinate to the tab rather than the other way around. But that would not help with storing the collapsed/expanded state.

It may be that because it LOOKS like the Explorer style that people are used to, it needs to BECOME that style...at which point, storing which View is used and the collapsed/expanded state may become more practical.

Last edited by Silveras; March 16th, 2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Revised first paragraph to allow for terminology differences
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 16th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I would be happy with just having the option to have everything collapsed (at all levels) by default. I would rather drill down and scroll down.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old March 16th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I would be happy with just having the option to have everything collapsed (at all levels) by default. I would rather drill down and scroll down.
I agree with MNBlockhead on this suggestion. +1
meek75 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote