Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

GThiel

Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:03 PM
I've placed Pins onto my maps, added appropriate tags, and revealed them and the map in player view. I assumed that if I revealed the pin in the player view that when the mouse is hovered over it the text would be revealed.

In player view a pin is shown, but not the accompanying text. Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks in Advance
GThiel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:10 PM
This is a requested feature that has not be implemented yet.
Mmurphy is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info.

I am surprised that this is a later to be done item, would have thought that revealing pins in player view without the attached info would be useless.

The world revealing aspect is one of the big selling points for me, and so, I'll keep adding pins and patiently wait until it gets implemented. :-)
GThiel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
When you reveal a pin, that pin becomes visible to the players, both in Player View and in the upcoming Player Edition where players get to view all the information you've revealed to them.

At present, the Player Window, which is what the players see during the game, is a SNAPSHOT of what you've revealed to them. When you move the mouse over a pin within a content tab, that's completely DISCONNECTED from what's going on in Player View. This is CRITICAL, because nothing updates within Player View until you actually SAVE your changes within a content tab. Otherwise, you could inadvertently reveal areas that you didn't intend and give the players information they shouldn't know.

Having mouse-over response on pins in Player View is something completely different from what's currently in place. More importantly, dynamically changing the display as the GM moves the mouse is a MUCH more complex request if we want to support a remote version of Player View so users who aren't in the room can see what the GM is showing them via Player View. Live updating now becomes necessary instead of the snapshot approach. And this is something lots of users have been asking for as well.

The primary thing that was requested in the Feature Requests forum is the ability to have the text always shown for pins. That would work smoothly for remote Player View as well as the current Player View mechanism, since it would work well in a snapshot model. Quite possibly, we'll do something like that first.

FYI, the current behavior has been in Beta testing with hundreds of users for two years now. Not once have any of them asked for live mouse-over updating in Player View. Based on that and all the glowing feedback we received from users, I would contend that the current behavior is certainly not "useless". I can wholly understand how it could be MORE useful with your proposed enhancement, but all those users definitely found it useful without that capability.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old April 4th, 2014, 02:11 AM
Perhaps (probably) useless was too strong a term.

I guess perhaps I don't understand what the purpose of a Pin in the player view is. In the GM view, I place a pin and attach a name and text I want with it. I then save it. Now when I view the GM map, I see a Pin. If I move the mouse over it the name and text is displayed. I then "reveal" the pin. In the Player view of the map a pin icon is shown but I can find no way to have the "name" of the pin to display in the player view.

What I am trying to accomplish, is that as the players explore the map, they find a village named "Taggeste." Some time later, when the players are viewing the map, I want them to know that the village shown on the map is Taggeste. Is this possible??

I have been GMing for heading towards 40 years (says the doddering old man) and RealmWorks is a program that I have been waiting for all that time. I guess I just want it to be perfect.
GThiel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
silee

Old April 5th, 2014, 05:37 AM
+1 to wanting the ability to reveal the text info on pins as well.
silee is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
DarkChilde

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I think that being able to change the pin to an icon will help with this. With an icon everyone would be able to tell at a glance if the pin was a city, town, standing stones, etc.
Combining that with showing text always would be super.
DarkChilde is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2014, 12:24 AM
@GThiel: The role of pins extends beyond just the Player View window. Once we get the Player Edition released, followed by web-based player access, the role of pins will be very similar to how they currently work for you. During play, the assumption is that the players will be shown a map and the GM will be able to point things out to the players. Outside of the game session, or even during the session if you approve it, the players will then be able to see everything you've revealed to them with all the same viewing capabilities you enjoy. They can mouse-over pins to view the names, click on pins to go to the topics, etc.

If there are more features needed for in-play support, we can definitely add them. This particular request never arose from our Beta team nor the Kickstarter backers, so it's a new one to us. Please post it over on the Feature Requests forum so that other users can find it there and up-vote it appropriately to help us prioritize things.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ninefingers

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
@GThiel: The role of pins extends beyond just the Player View window. Once we get the Player Edition released, followed by web-based player access, the role of pins will be very similar to how they currently work for you. During play, the assumption is that the players will be shown a map and the GM will be able to point things out to the players. Outside of the game session, or even during the session if you approve it, the players will then be able to see everything you've revealed to them with all the same viewing capabilities you enjoy. They can mouse-over pins to view the names, click on pins to go to the topics, etc.

If there are more features needed for in-play support, we can definitely add them. This particular request never arose from our Beta team nor the Kickstarter backers, so it's a new one to us. Please post it over on the Feature Requests forum so that other users can find it there and up-vote it appropriately to help us prioritize things.
I know this is an old post, but I am searching for a solution for this problem as well.

If I reveal a pin, it would be nice if it would at least provide the name of the pin, or the building, or the location etc.

I am trying to find a way to add names of the buildings on the maps without actually adding them to the image. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Ninefingers
Ninefingers is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old February 17th, 2016, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
I am trying to find a way to add names of the buildings on the maps without actually adding them to the image. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Ninefingers
If you ever find such a way please let me know. And the other people here as well, of course.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote