Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Website Support > Website Problems, Comments and Suggestions

Notices

muffinman

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I just purchased a license, and initiated the license activation. It failed to connect to the server after several attempts. I tried to use the manual activation submittion at lonewolfdevel, but was met with this message:

Quote:
Garbage text from basics.asp for ASP debugging Garbage text from basics.asp for ASP debugging

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/user/activate.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.
muffinman is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
There was a hiccup on the server that we resolved a few hours ago. Please give this another try and see if things work now. If things still don't work, let support know and they'll escalate it to a developer for prompt attention.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
leokhorn

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue as muffinman. Activation from Hero Lab says the server could not be reached. Manual activation from the website (which otherwise works perfectly) gives me the ASP error page (also time out). I have tried this for three days now (bought the license on sunday) and it hasn't worked yet. I have sent an e-mail to support on monday and have yet to hear from you guys. Having paid for a product and not being able to use it is quite frustrating.

I have seen on the forums that others have critiques your license system so I'll simply add my voice to theirs. I understand you're protecting your interests, but as a fresh customer, understand I'm getting a very bad first impression here.
leokhorn is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 9th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Everything appears to be working perfectly on this end. I've just gone through and double-checked everything. Activation from within Hero Lab is working fine for all of my tests. In addition, the manual activation process is similarly working properly. There was definitely an issue affecting everyone when the original poster reported his issue, but this one appears to be different.

At this point, I'm not sure what could be going on for you, especially since the problem has apparently persisted for multiple days. My best theory is that you were accessing the server during heavy load periods that resulted in the timeouts. However, that's very unlikely if the problem persisted over days.

Did you always try to access the server at the same time of day? Or at various times? If you can provide me with some of the times that failed, I can investigate the server logs to see if I can uncover what was happening at those times. Perhaps that will reveal some clues.

Given that there is no evidence on the server of there being a problem, and given that the problem has persisted for days with no other reports of problems from other users, it's also possible that something is interfering on your computer. I'm not saying that's the case, but I want to explore all possibilities here to get you running as quickly as possible. Within Hero Lab, please go to the Tools menu, select the Diagnostics sub-menu, and then run the "Check Internet Connection" tests. Those tests are fast operations that should never timeout. If those timeout, then it points to something else going on with your internet connection that we need to figure out.

Please give things another try, first using the built-in activation and then the manual method if that fails. If the problem persists, please send me both the diagnostics output and the response message from the manual activation at rob(at)wolflair(dot)com. I can then investigate things further on this end.

Thanks for your patience while we work to figure this out for you.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
leokhorn

Old January 10th, 2013, 01:28 AM
I'm pretty sure I've found out what the issue was. A quick explanation of my initial thoughts first: I'm currently on vacation at my mom's and tried the Hero Lab demo on the local computer. This is however not my main computer. Thus, I decided I'd use the secondary license here, and activate the main license once back home. It might have been silly on my part considering there's apparently no difference between a main and secondary license (at least not in terms of rights and access), but eh, I wanted to be cautious.

Based on this decision, what I did was buy a license, and then immediately request the free secondary license and tried activating the secondary one. This never worked, with the previously mentioned error messages.

Yesterday I got a bit fed up and became more and more convinced the issue was that I was using the secondary license. I tried activating the main one and bam! it worked instantly.

Since I have a background in programming, I'll make a wild guess: my procedure is quirky enough that your servers aren't meant to deal with such a case and, when trying to activate the secondary license first, it fails on retrieving the game system chosen for the main license (a choice that hadn't yet been made in my case)... Thus, somehow, an infinite loop or something leading to a timeout of the process, whether using Hero Lab or the website.

If that's what it is, it would be nice to make it clear that secondary licenses are utterly dependant on the main ones, and if possible have an appropriate error message.

Now all I hope is that the secondary license will properly activate on my computer back home next week. I will let you know if there are any further issues.

Aside from this, I've finally been able to fiddle with the program and am an otherwise happy customer.
leokhorn is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
John
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 10th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Hello, and thanks for the update! Glad to hear you got everything working, and thanks for the suggestion as well.

You shouldn't have any problems with the secondary license and getting it set up on your primary computer. However, if you run into any issues, drop me an e-mail and we'll look into it.
John is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 10th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Your analysis is definitely correct. We call them "secondary" licenses for a reason. The assumption is that you've already installed and activated your "primary" license before you try to use any secondary license, since all the "smarts" about what material you have licensed is tied to the primary license. Beyond that, the licenses are essentially identical, but that one key difference sure is critical in the situation you ran into.

I'm thrilled that you figured this out on your own, since I'm not sure I would have divined the source of the problem without a lot of back and forth over email.

As for the server falling over if something tries to use the secondary license before the primary license, that's definitely a bug on our end. So I'll log it and we can get it fixed.

As John said, everything should work smoothly for you from here. If you run into further problems, please yell and we'll do our best to get you running.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
marrkede

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Yes,I am agree with the assumption that as you told that you've already installed and activated your "primary" license before you try to use any secondary license, since all the "smarts" about what material you have licensed is tied to the primary license.Anyhow thanks for sharing such a nice information about web development.

HCG Diet Drops

Last edited by marrkede; November 28th, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
marrkede is offline   #8 Reply With Quote