Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

geekomancer

Old May 4th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
Uninstall then re-install? Save all of the user files that you made, delete the contents, reinstall, and put them back into the folder.
Nope. It just comes back to exactly where it was, with the update nag. But even if I erase the Savage Settings folders it just doesn't go away. I need some way to delete that game system and then re-install it, but it only lets me delete from within the game system, which I can't get into.
geekomancer is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 4th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Well, there are potentially two issues here. The update part isn't the main issue itself, the real issue you're having is that HL doesn't seem to give you the option to simply ignore the update. I think that's the important distinction for now. Presumably you would need to uninstall HL and delete the Hero Lab folders in both the My Documents folder and in the App Data folder as well. I don't actually have HL installed on a Windows box so I can't really say right where those are normally installed, though. So maybe someone else could pop in on explaining that. In any case I would try to get rid of (or at least move/rename) everything Hero Lab before trying to install it again and see if that fixes the issue for you.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old May 4th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I uninstalled, removed all directories that looked like they had HL stuff in them, and reinstalled.

No more nags for Savage Worlds.

Boomer

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 5th, 2016, 03:29 AM
To clarify a little bit the nags themselves come from a single issue that really doesn't have anything to do with Hero Lab as much as it has to do with the data files. When I update a data file I go to a website for data file authors that Lone Wolf has set up where I put in the relevant details like the description and version number and such. One of the fields it asks for is a code field. It expects that code field to stay consistent but it doesn't show me what the last code was that I used. So for something like 50 Fathoms maybe I originally set that code to be "50F" but in my last update maybe I used something like "50Fathoms". Everything else is the same and looks right but your copy of Hero Lab sees this different code and creates a brand new entry on the list it maintains to handle what version any given data file is at.

So let's say you had "50F" at version 1.0, then download an update for "50Fathoms" 1.2. Well that "50Fathoms" file has the same name and data in it that "50F" had so "50F" gets overwritten with this new one called "50Fathoms" but all of the rest of the details as far as Hero Lab is concerned suggests that there is an update "50F" file from version 1.0 to 1.2 which you still haven't downloaded. So it keeps telling you there is an update. That is why simply deleting the extra entries in "3rd party updates" fixes the nagging part of the problem (or even doing a reinstall because it effectively deletes everything down to whatever you download is now the "default" code name for that thing.)

So the nagging is just an annoyance as the data file actually does get updated to the latest version and everything will work just fine if you completely ignored it. It also has nothing at all to do with the strangeness geekomancer seems to be running into where Hero Lab doesn't seem to give the option to ignore the update. That's a completely different problem that has nothing at all to do with the whole nagging update issue. They apparently just ended up happening around the same time, is all.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 5th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Maybe copy your data, uninstall Hero Lab, delete its folders, then install it again.

On Windows there are two locations:

C:/ProgramData/HeroLab
and then wherever the characters are saved

The data that you might want to back up (such as user files) would be in the
C:/ProgramData/HeroLab/Data/"whatever" folders (savage for Savage Worlds)

If you have made your own user files, that is what you will want to back up before uninstalling and then deleting the folders. If you have only added things through the downloader, you can ignore them as you will want to re-download them anyway.

I have no idea why you are getting the errors. It is working fine for everybody else, so it seems like it might be some bug in your own installation.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old May 6th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everybody.

I had previously deleted the data, docs, and download folders, and the herbal.prefs file — which I thought was everything, but it didn't work.

This time I used a special uninstaller, got rid of every data file, every preference, the license, etc., then downloaded and reinstalled. It's now back to working. The update nags are gone (and thus I am able to get into the game system).

Somehow, before when I had tried uninstalling everything I must not have gotten everything. This time I did, and it worked.

Again, thanks to a great community for your support.
geekomancer is offline   #16 Reply With Quote