Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

geekomancer

Old April 28th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Hi, under Savage Worlds it always says there are 2 updates available: 50 Fathoms (v 1.5) and Deadlands Noir (v 3.5). These never go away, even though I can successfully download and import them. How do I get rid of the nag?

I tried deleting the Savage Worlds files (under ~/Library/Application Support/Hero Lab/Data), but it didn't change anything.

Thanks!
geekomancer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 29th, 2016, 06:18 AM
A quick search would show that's a known issue, although you do have the latest versions it's just the update notification that's the issue. However I THINK I might have fixed it. I really need LoneWolf to show what the stupid "Third-Party ID" is supposed to be on the update site to prevent issues on this front.

Please try to download the updates and let me know if either of them show back up again.

P.S. For those of you who did the previous fix of going to Tools - Manage 3rd Party Updates and the deleting the offending files and redownloading them, you'll probably have to do that yet again to so you don't get stuck in this same update reminder issue.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; April 29th, 2016 at 06:20 AM.
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old April 29th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
A quick search would show that's a known issue, although you do have the latest versions it's just the update notification that's the issue.
I did search, and did not find anything related to this — hence my post. If you know of a solution or discussion, a link would be very helpful.

I have tried re-downloading the updates many times, and nothing changes.

Also, I'm not able to access "Tools -> Manage 3rd Party Updates" because I can't load the game system — stuck in a download loop. If I enter another game system and try to "Tools -> Delete Game System ...", Savage Worlds is not listed.

Thanks!

Last edited by geekomancer; April 29th, 2016 at 04:09 PM.
geekomancer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 30th, 2016, 04:28 AM
There's always "50 Fathoms 1.5 and Noir 3.5" just one page down.

If you'll read my response above after the part about a quick search showing this was a known issue, however, you'd see that I was trying to say that I THOUGHT I might have been able to upload a fix to those two data files just yesterday when I wrote that post. I wasn't asking if you'd downloaded the files again and again I was simply asking if you would try downloading them again after you'd read my post above because I tried to put in a fix. If you did try downloading AFTER reading my post above and things are still giving the notification then you probably still have to do the delete game system thing.

As for being able to access that part, why can't you load the game system? That update warning in now way prevents you from loading Savage Worlds in Hero Lab. Now if you are getting other errors (probably having to do with "High Space" edges and such) then that is a completely different issue and probably the fastest fix would be to delete your High Space files. If you really need High Space before JBearWillis gets a chance to fix them just let us know and we can tell you how to fix it manually.

In any case once you get into Hero Lab (ignoring any errors you get but you do have to be in Savage Worlds) I don't even think it requires any valid data files to be loaded to be able to go to the Tools menu, click on "Manage 3rd Party Updates" and delete any duplicates listed there, or even just both of those two settings to force them to reload correctly.

Again, however, I will note that the version error should in no way prevent you from loading the data files, it's just a warning message because if an ID in the new file not matching that in an old one but the files still load just fine. That's just saying you've got a new update to the files when there really isn't one, is all.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old May 1st, 2016, 05:33 PM
Ok, I was unclear -- I did try downloading them again also after reading your post, and there seems to be no effect.

I can't load Savage Worlds because the button to load it is the same button to download updates. When updates are available, it forces me into the download dialog, rather than loading the game system. Am I missing something?

You also mentioned that you did "a quick search" and found some solutions. Again, if you could show a link to some previous discussion on this subject, it would be very helpful.
geekomancer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 1st, 2016, 07:05 PM
The link was in my last response, first sentence in quotes and underlined. Almost the same subject header as your first sentence, even.

As for getting past the download just tell it "No" when it asks to update. I'd have to check my other computer to get the exact thing it says but when you double-click Savage Worlds to load the setting the dialog box saying there are updates should have 2 options, one to download and apply the updates and the other to not do that, in other words to just skip applying the updates and you're good to go.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old May 1st, 2016, 11:51 PM
Quote:
The link was in my last response, first sentence in quotes and underlined. Almost the same subject header as your first sentence, even.
Sorry - totally missed it. Thanks for that. Still, I can't get into the game system to follow this advice. (See below.)

Quote:
As for getting past the download just tell it "No" when it asks to update. I'd have to check my other computer to get the exact thing it says but when you double-click Savage Worlds to load the setting the dialog box saying there are updates should have 2 options, one to download and apply the updates and the other to not do that, in other words to just skip applying the updates and you're good to go.
I don't have a choice to update or not. When I double click Savage Worlds, it downloads the file and gives me the "start import" dialog. The button that normally would "Load" the game system becomes the "Download" button. There is no option to skip downloading the updates.
geekomancer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 2nd, 2016, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekomancer View Post
I don't have a choice to update or not. When I double click Savage Worlds, it downloads the file and gives me the "start import" dialog. The button that normally would "Load" the game system becomes the "Download" button. There is no option to skip downloading the updates.
Something's wrong there, then. If you double-click Savage Worlds it should give a dialog box that says "The update 'whatever-it-is' is available for this game. Would you like to download and install it now?" Then you should have two options "Yes" or "No" and should just be able to select "No". I just checked and that's what mine is doing. Even if you did select "Yes", however, once you do the "Import" it should still work. For those two settings it will just overwrite the same things that is still already there. Does it give you and other errors after the import?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
geekomancer

Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:53 PM
No errors at all. It just has this update loop where I can't get into the game system. It seems that I have to get into the game system in order to modify or delete the game system, so I'm kinda stuck.

The version I have on my laptop doesn't have the update nag, but I installed a later version from scratch. I have already tried deleting and re-installing the one on my desktop, but nope.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
geekomancer is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:52 AM
Uninstall then re-install? Save all of the user files that you made, delete the contents, reinstall, and put them back into the folder.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote