Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Maidhc O Casain

Old March 12th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharmiones View Post
I lost count on how many times I heard such things. I don't believe you anything until it is actually there.
Not me. Hope springs eternal .
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 12th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
LWD isn't at Comcast levels of stupidity for sure. But if another company offered a product with half the functionality of RW and a reliable timeline, I'd switch in a heartbeat at this point. Feast or famine is what LWD offers....

It would help to rebuild confidence if we knew what was coming, when it was coming, and if not released on time, how big a delay was anticipated.
You would give up half the functionality of RW for a more dependable timeline? I don't understand that. I mean I guess I kinda do if you're just talking out of frustration. I've been there. But when the product was finally released, I had to admit it was almost everything I wanted it to be. The only important feature (from my own personal perspective) that was missing was printing. That wasn't even a planned feature, but when I and others let them know we wanted either that or an export feature so we could print from another application, they listened. It was a long wait, but they still listened and they still did it.

I understand that other people want other features that I don't necessarily need, and I'm not going to presume that they're not important just because I don't need them, but I will say that with everything the product can do right now, I wouldn't give up anything to switch. As far as functions and features, RW is first in its class. Even your own statement is a hypothetical which means that you can't find another product that even does half of what RW does, or you would have already switched by now.

It's tough waiting. Believe me, I know. But the product, even as it stands today, is still best in class. And that's really what's frustrating. We know it's the best out there, but if only it had this feature or that feature. It's so close that we can almost taste it, but the pot still has to stew for a bit longer. And we get so hungry that we're tempted to say, "heck with it, I'll just get a McCrap from the drive-thru." (I still want to know who the marketing genius is that came up with that name, and if they still have a job.) But we know that the McCrap won't taste nearly as good and won't be nearly as satisfying as what we're waiting for. We're just hungry, right. now.

I'm not accusing you or criticizing you, just empathizing. Because I really do know how it feels. But I learned that LWD really does care about their product quality, and I've come to appreciate that. They really do care about their customers, and I've come to appreciate that. And they're as frustrated with the delays as we are, but that takes second place to caring about quality.
EightBitz is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 12th, 2017, 07:06 PM
I went back to text files as my main adventure development system. How much functionality did I give up?

It's been hurry-up-and-wait for years now and I don't see that changing any time soon. If RW isn't meeting your needs, use something else and (if you're still interested) check back when you can to see how things are going. Nothing wrong with that.

Parody is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 12th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I went back to text files as my main adventure development system. How much functionality did I give up?

It's been hurry-up-and-wait for years now and I don't see that changing any time soon. If RW isn't meeting your needs, use something else and (if you're still interested) check back when you can to see how things are going. Nothing wrong with that.
All the functionality that Realm Works has to offer, which I shouldn't have to detail for you. You're obviously familiar with the program.

If you prefer using text files (heck, I know someone who still prefers using pencil and paper), that's fine.

Me, I bought Realm Works for a reason. I wanted a central place to organize my ideas instead of having some ideas in this notebook, some ideas on that napkin, some things in evernote, and other things in Scrivener or one-note.

I wanted my ideas stored somewhere where if I wanted to reference back to a character or a city, I wouldn't have to keep scrolling up and down, or through different files.

I wanted a way to keep track of what I've revealed to my players instead of having to wonder, "wait, did discover this information yet?" or revealing something to them only to have them tell me that I've already told them twice. Or to reveal something that's dependent on something else that I thought I'd told them but had not, and it ends up with me having to awkwardly say, "wait, didn't I tell you that?"

Your mind maybe sharper than mine. These points may be more trivial to you than they are to me. Nonetheless, those are the main features I want, and to have one place I can go for all that and more, I'm happy with it.

If you're not, then you're not, and that's up to you. But to make the statement, as AEIOU did that "I would switch if another product offered me half the functionality", I just can't wrap my head around that.

You, at least, followed through and switched to another format. And if you're happy with that, and if that works for you, I'm not going to presume to tell you to do things any other way than what you're happy with. I just don't understand they hypothetical, because it offers an implied concession that there is nothing else out there that's even half as good.
EightBitz is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Talley Darkstar

Old March 12th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
You can all expect an update next week some time. With any luck the update will be accompanied by the free content. It's not going to be years away.
Thanks for the update! Despite wanting the CM to be released, I work for a software company in tech support and I'm well aware of how software deadlines work. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the finished product.
Talley Darkstar is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 13th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
All the functionality that Realm Works has to offer, which I shouldn't have to detail for you. You're obviously familiar with the program.
Of course. After all, it was a rhetorical question. :)

You and I and AEIOU all know RW pretty well, I imagine.

Quote:
If you're not, then you're not, and that's up to you. But to make the statement, as AEIOU did that "I would switch if another product offered me half the functionality", I just can't wrap my head around that.
I think it's more the Office quandary: most people only use 20% of (Word/Excel/etc.)'s features, but each individual uses a different 20%. So what are the important group of features that AEIOU isn't finding in another product? Or is AEIOU's statement as rhetorical as my question? :)

Last edited by Parody; March 13th, 2017 at 05:36 AM.
Parody is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 13th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Of course. After all, it was a rhetorical question. :)

You and I and AEIOU all know RW pretty well, I imagine.

I think it's more the Office quandary: most people only use 20% of (Word/Excel/etc.)'s features, but each individual uses a different 20%. So what are the important group of features that AEIOU isn't finding in another product? Or is AEIOU's statement as rhetorical as my question? :)
I don't know. As I said, I don't understand the statement. If it's not meant to be taken at face value, then I'm missing the subtext/implication/connotation.
EightBitz is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 13th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Quote:
I don't know. As I said, I don't understand the statement. If it's not meant to be taken at face value, then I'm missing the subtext/implication/connotation.
Anyway, I don't want this to degrade into anything disrespectful. I sincerely and wholeheartedly encourage everyone to use the tools that are best for them.

I prrsonally think RW is best in class, but whether or not it fits into your groove is entirely up to you.
EightBitz is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 13th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talley Darkstar View Post
Thanks for the update! Despite wanting the CM to be released, I work for a software company in tech support and I'm well aware of how software deadlines work. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see the finished product.
Thank you Talley.
BJ is offline   #29 Reply With Quote