Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daudvyd

Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:18 AM
kbs666 & Farling thank you for these details. I wish there was a trial version to experiment with, but you have provided answers to all my current questions. I'll weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.
daudvyd is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:53 AM
Unfortunately no trial or demo. I watched daplunk's videos in YouTube and then did a leap of faith. No regrets so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y6-...wvP8zs_qVSrzoM

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 23rd, 2018, 03:09 AM
I don't know if there is a video of the date picker out there because Josh and I made most of the RW videos and we certainly didn't want to showcase a placeholder feature that pretty much everyone hates.

But you should be able to find a video of the rest of the features you want. Just ask and Josh, daplunk, or I can point you to them.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
jasonbarron

Old September 23rd, 2018, 04:44 AM
After watching all of Josh Plunket's and kbs666's video tutorials on the subject, I took the plunge and jumped in with both feet and have not regretted it since--so much functionality has been quite lovely.
With that said, I've not needed a specific timeline such as the OP mentions, and I agree that it's a shame that its not an integrated part of the program; a functional timeline seems like a no-brainer.
jasonbarron is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:26 AM
There is a timeline, its just really bad. If you enter dates into your topics a timeline gets populated automatically. If you look at the main button bar it's right between reveal history and player view.

The problem is it doesn't allow filtering or pretty much anything else. It's just every single date in your entire realm in date/time order. The only thing you can do is change the start and end time of the list.

Hopefully major improvements are part of the custom calendar feature which hopefully will come out once the CM goes live when ever that is.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old September 24th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Unfortunately no trial or demo. I watched daplunk's videos in YouTube and then did a leap of faith. No regrets so far.
Unless things have changed, Lone Wolf actually has a pretty forgiving return policy. If I recall correctly, I think they will refund no questions asked up to 30 days from purchase, which should be plenty of time for you to decide if the tool will work for you. I'm not 100% sure on the current policy, but I've personally had nothing but fabulous customer service interactions with the company.

That said, definitely check out the tutorial videos mentioned up thread - they're really helpful and show the flexibility of the tool.
JustinThomason is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 24th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I do appreciate the kind words about my videos and I'm sure Josh does as well. We made them to spread the word about RW because we truly do think RW is a great tool for GM's.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 24th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Thanks for watching!

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
daudvyd

Old September 30th, 2018, 06:55 AM
It looks like some people have made their own importers and exporters, right? So, however complex the SQL database is--it is unencrypted, right? How are people connected to it outside of Realm Works? ODBC?
daudvyd is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 30th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudvyd View Post
It looks like some people have made their own importers and exporters, right? So, however complex the SQL database is--it is unencrypted, right? How are people connected to it outside of Realm Works? ODBC?
The database is encrypted.

The importer and exporter tools use the existing functionality in Realm Works to import and export data in its own XML format files.

The exporter will work fine for your own entered data, but I suspect that published information can not be exported from the tool (either as an output or an export file) due to copyright (DRM) restrictions.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #20 Reply With Quote