Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Frodie

Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:14 AM
Any news from Gen Con about HL and 5e?
Frodie is offline   #181 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old August 3rd, 2015, 12:57 PM
Looks like GenCon 2015 went by with barely a whimper.
DMG is offline   #182 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
Well if anything was signed at Gen Con I doubt we'll find out about it right away.
AndrewD2 is offline   #183 Reply With Quote
ddaley

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
Well if anything was signed at Gen Con I doubt we'll find out about it right away.
If they actually signed something, I would think they would announce that sooner, rather than later. That is the kind of news that might draw in new customers and prevent current customers from defecting to FG.
ddaley is offline   #184 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 4th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Who would defect to FG? That's a sincere question, not a statement or challenge. I looked into FG when the WoTC deal was announced, but if you just want digital character sheets and maybe some encounter management, but don't want VTT, it seems like a lot of money for an application whose features and strengths would mostly go unused.

I'm not knocking FG, if I played with a group that was not co-located, I would own it already. But I don't want a VTT, I just want digital character sheets, some basic encounter management, and integration with RW.

Even if I lose all hope of HL and RW getting DnD 5e licensed content, I don't', see a compelling reason to spend the money for FG and all the DnD 5e content, at least until I decide to give VTT a go.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #185 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Honestly I think the real question would be an agreed upon price. Fantasy Grounds is very expensive for your buy in already, especially as a GM. LWD tends to keep prices at $20 for a base system and around $9.99 for add-ons.
AndrewD2 is offline   #186 Reply With Quote
ddaley

Old August 4th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Who would defect to FG? That's a sincere question, not a statement or challenge. I looked into FG when the WoTC deal was announced, but if you just want digital character sheets and maybe some encounter management, but don't want VTT, it seems like a lot of money for an application whose features and strengths would mostly go unused.

I'm not knocking FG, if I played with a group that was not co-located, I would own it already. But I don't want a VTT, I just want digital character sheets, some basic encounter management, and integration with RW.

Even if I lose all hope of HL and RW getting DnD 5e licensed content, I don't', see a compelling reason to spend the money for FG and all the DnD 5e content, at least until I decide to give VTT a go.
I ended up buying FG and some of the 5e content when they had a sale. I have been using it mostly for "at the table" sessions to display content to the players and such. It's not as useful as I think RealmWorks would be, but I don't have the time to input the content myself. For the next adventure, if I can find the maps, I may use RealmWorks instead. We'll see.

We are also using FG for a 5e campaign where our DM is remote. So, the money wasn't completely spent to replace RealmWorks.
ddaley is offline   #187 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old August 4th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I won't be using FG. I'm already invested in HL & d20Pro (via the recent Kickstarter).

I also know that 5e will sit on the shelf gathering dust until we get HL support.
DMG is offline   #188 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 4th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
Honestly I think the real question would be an agreed upon price. Fantasy Grounds is very expensive for your buy in already, especially as a GM. LWD tends to keep prices at $20 for a base system and around $9.99 for add-ons.
Well, I doubt that WoTC is going to let LWD sell their content for less than FG. Personally, while—yes—it is overpriced given that I already bought the hardcover books, but I would still pay because the benefits would be worth it for me.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #189 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old August 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I won't be using FG. I'm already invested in HL & d20Pro (via the recent Kickstarter).

I also know that 5e will sit on the shelf gathering dust until we get HL support.
Yeah, but I think there are more people that are the other way around: they won't use HL until it gets 5e support.
the_redbeard is offline   #190 Reply With Quote