Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Alright, I'm trying to create a race that has a spell progression, I want it to function as a Sorcerer, (as far as the spell list goes), and while I have figured out how to link the spells to a class I haven't figured out how to alter the progression.

I do not want the race to start gaining the spell casting class until 3rd HD, and I want it to be slower than normal. There are also a number of conditionals about continuing racial casting, but I think I can work those out later.

I thought about creating a new class, but I don't want that class to be selectable by normal means. I would like to make it entirely hidden from the user. Unfortunately, when I put its unique id in the hidden box it makes the link to the race not work at all.

I've tried looking at the dragon racial adjustment which is a tad confusing, though I think I understand most of it. And the Drider, Sorcerer which is straight up linking a class. Neither of them do exactly what I would like.

So the question is, can I link a class to a race and then hide that Class to from the user except when it appears in the selected race. If not, what could I try to get the desired effect.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:23 AM
You can hide it from selection with the Helper.Helper tag.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
You can hide it from selection with the Helper.Helper tag.
Helper.Helper?
TobyFox2002 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Yep. I usually use this tag for feats, such as Martial Study, where I need to bootstrap other feats for additional dropdowns. If you give the additional feat the Helper.Helper tag then it does not appear in the list of feats to be selected. It'll do the same thing for a class.

Of course, it doesn't solve the problem of removing HD, BAB, saves, etc. It just hides it from selection.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Didn't work, I tried applying the tag for both the Class tab and the class level tab, neither had any affect whatsoever, in both cases the class is still selectable by the user from the class selection menu.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I recommend studying the Rakshasa race. That's an example of a race that is built with spellcasting, without needing to bootstrap anything to help it. The Rakshasa has a fixed cMagicLev field, but it sounds like you want that field to be generated by a script that sets it to HD - 3.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:31 AM
That's weird. I swear I was messing around with something just last week and used this tag to hide the class. I'll see if I can reproduce what I did. Sorry.
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:42 AM
This is what I am ultimately looking for:

A race that is slightly magical, with a small amount of inborn talent for magic.

Once they reach a specific point, they start gaining caster levels, the gain a limited number of spells, from which they can cast a certain number of spells per day TOTAL from all spell levels.

If they take a full caster class something with 9 full spell levels they cease to gain any additional racial levels but their caster level is added into their casting class.

If they take a martial class (um.. by martial I probably mean a full base attack with no casting ability) They max out at 5th level racial spells.

But I figured I'd take it one step at a time. And start with how to attack a caster class to a race and have it not be visible. I knew I'd need to do some fancy stuff later but I figured I could cross that bridge when I came to it.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote