Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > BETA: Hero Lab Online Beta Testing

Notices

evdjj3j

Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:38 AM
I checked the beta FAQ and searched but I could not find answers to my questions.

1. Is there any way to print character sheets or send them to a computer to be printed?

2. Is there an offline mode? My local gaming shop has the wifi locked down and they don't allow anyone on it. If there is no offline mode then that will be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I'm really liking the beta other than those two things.
evdjj3j is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdjj3j View Post
1. Is there any way to print character sheets or send them to a computer to be printed?
Printable character sheets are on our "coming soon" thread. I am actually working on a basic printout system right now, hopefully for inclusion in the next beta release (or perhaps the one after).

Quote:
2. Is there an offline mode? My local gaming shop has the wifi locked down and they don't allow anyone on it. If there is no offline mode then that will be a deal breaker for a lot of people.
There isn't an offline mode, and there won't be one for the foreseeable future. We realize this doesn't meet everyone's needs, but it does meet the needs of quite a few people (especially those who are excited to finally use Hero Lab on a mobile device other than an iPad).

A great many people do have Wi-Fi available in the areas they game in. Many will be able to use a cellular data signal (either directly on their device, or with a mobile hotspot), as we've gone to some lengths to make our data usage similar to other mobile apps. Many others still prefer to use a Hero Lab-printed character sheet at their table (and as mentioned above, that will be coming very soon).

If you're in a group that isn't served by some of the above possibilities, we're sorry! We're always keeping an eye on the changing technology landscape and evaluating our future direction.
Joe is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
There isn't an offline mode, and there won't be one for the foreseeable future. We realize this doesn't meet everyone's needs, but it does meet the needs of quite a few people (especially those who are excited to finally use Hero Lab on a mobile device other than an iPad).

A great many people do have Wi-Fi available in the areas they game in. Many will be able to use a cellular data signal (either directly on their device, or with a mobile hotspot), as we've gone to some lengths to make our data usage similar to other mobile apps. Many others still prefer to use a Hero Lab-printed character sheet at their table (and as mentioned above, that will be coming very soon).
That is too bad, especially since they hinted there would be when this was originally announced. I was really hoping there would be. since 90% of my gaming is either offline or in poor reception areas.

For cellular access what are your plans on testing the access in high traffic areas like large conventions? I know my experience in the past at GenCon that WiFi was useless and even data through cellular was slow.
Dragnmoon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
That is too bad, especially since they hinted there would be when this was originally announced. I was really hoping there would be. since 90% of my gaming is either offline or in poor reception areas.

For cellular access what are your plans on testing the access in high traffic areas like large conventions? I know my experience in the past at GenCon that WiFi was useless and even data through cellular was slow.
I currently have wifi or cell signal at 100% of my games (and conventions). I suspect you are in the extreme minority at 90% with no wifi or cell signal always.

Gencon happens once a year, so I would just bring paper that weekend.

If this doesn't work for you it seems like HLO may not be the product for you.
Toblakai is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ian
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 24th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Quote:
We'd like to have a "read only" mode, but for now that's gone on back burner since we got printing support up and running faster than we (well, I) expected and that should hopefully cover most of the same use cases. A full offline mode where you can change stuff is off in the far, far future, since it would require rewriting significant portions of the HL engine to work entirely in Javascript.

Quote:
For what it's worth, our testing with the pre-optimization "send the entire 1.5mb character again every time anything updates" early versions worked fine over a 3G cell connection, though that wasn't while surrounded by 10,000 other cell phones. Once we have better multi-session character caching in place, the data usage should be low enough to work fine anywhere you can get web pages to work via cell at all.
Ian is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old December 31st, 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
For what it's worth, our testing with the pre-optimization "send the entire 1.5mb character again every time anything updates" early versions worked fine over a 3G cell connection, though that wasn't while surrounded by 10,000 other cell phones. Once we have better multi-session character caching in place, the data usage should be low enough to work fine anywhere you can get web pages to work via cell at all.
Will also need to know How much Data is used for a full day at a convention using the typical uses of the program for those of us with low data plans.
Dragnmoon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ian
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 10th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Will also need to know How much Data is used for a full day at a convention using the typical uses of the program for those of us with low data plans.
Active use of a high-level character (mucking with conditions, changing equipment around, toggling resource pools, etc) is about 8 MB/hour currently, based on our rough internal testing. Low-level characters or other systems where different parts of the character interact less (for example, M&M doesn't have much that broadly changes character traits in play outside of conditions) would have less data usage.

Any "idle" time (using it as a reference, or the purely client-side capabilities like dice rolling) is near-zero data usage, since it just has an occasional background 'ping' to know it's still connected to the server.
Ian is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
evdjj3j

Old December 2nd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the replies. Our local gaming store must be surrounded by a faraday cage, on the sidewalk you get 3-4 bars of LTE, walking inside and you get nothing. I’m cool without an offline mode if the characters will be eventually printable. On an unrelated note, how much bandwidth usage are you seeing on average on your end? It looked like a lot of communication was going back and forth while I was creating a character.
evdjj3j is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 3rd, 2017, 11:21 AM
Quote:
On an unrelated note, how much bandwidth usage are you seeing on average on your end? It looked like a lot of communication was going back and forth while I was creating a character.
There are still a few things we need to tighten up data-usage wise during character CREATION. There's some inefficiencies with loading lists and descriptions when adding to tables that still use a lot of data. The good news is that the current implementation is very naive, so there's a lot of room to improve without needing to do too much difficult work.

Just playing an already created character (turning abilities on and off, marking off spells, taking/healing damage, equipping weapons and armor, reading ability descriptions, rolling attacks and damage, etc) should be very low data usage. We don't have hard numbers, but we think fairly normal use for a high level character should be around 8-10MB/hour, which is significantly less than most other data-connected things you can do with a mobile device (e.g. browse facebook, which we've seen estimated at about 80MB/hour). For lower level/simpler characters, it may be significantly less. Also, it greatly depends on how often you're changing things on your character. If you spend 3 hours of your session "idle", the usage is near-zero, as the overhead to maintain the connection is quite small.

EDIT: I just wanted to add a quick caveat to the numbers I presented above. We actually have a much better MEASURED rate of data usage: about 1.2 MB/hour. However, this is going to vary significantly based on 1) the complexity of your character (roughly proportional (but not 1:1) with level), and 2) the number of actions you take while running your character (e.g. how much active use like during combat, how much in-between downtime). This is going to vary wildly from game to game, group to group, and person to person. I arrived at the 8-10MB/hour figure by extrapolating a kind of "worst case" scenario, where you have both less downtime than expected, and have a more complex character than expected.

Last edited by Joe; December 4th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.
Joe is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
xmiyux

Old January 8th, 2018, 06:36 PM
On my iPad I was able to go to the print mode, choose to save it to ibooks, and had the pdf on my tablet that could be emailed for printing or otherwise shared.

A decent workaround if someone uses it on a tablet without a wifi printer.

I will say though, the skills section has the skills section looking a touch odd. It doesn't check the boxes but has the key that they would be checked to indicate a class skill. Same thing with what skills are trained only (the key is there yet the symbol isn't used outside the key). The class bonus for class skills is included in the total but isn't listed in the class bonus column.
xmiyux is offline   #10 Reply With Quote