Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mettius

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:22 PM
For the game I'm working with (Battletech). There is a standard planetary data block used in published sourcebooks for planetary descriptions.

For example:
Noble Ruler:
Star Type (Recharge Time):
Position in System:
etc...

Since I don't want to have to create a new snippet for each of these every time I add a world (Planetary Body) to RW, which way should I go?

1. Unprotect and edit the default "Planetary Body" category adding these "standard" fields.
2. Create a copy of the "Planetary Body" and edit that?

I'm not sure if one or the other approach will be more painful when it comes to importing things from the content market?
What about ease of use in RW? Does having two cause clutter? Ease of use issues?

I was thinking of creating a copy, and naming it "World" or something to set it aside from the remaining default "Planetary Body". That way I could know at a glance which was which. Seems kind of strange to leave the original "Planetary Body" hanging around though.
Mettius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:30 PM
I would recommend:

2. Create a copy of the "Planetary Body" and edit that?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old May 18th, 2017, 03:01 AM
Never unprotect the default categories!

Trust me on this. Just don't do it.

Make copies, change the name slightly and use those.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:18 AM
I am with them, make a new category
ErinRigh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old May 20th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Seems to me that there might be a better approach for those that are creating setting or game-specific custom categories, especially for settings or rule sets that won't be in the Content Market at the beginning.

Create a new Realm, name it for the setting or game, and create your custom categories in it. (As stated above, edited copies of the built-in categories, not edits of the originals).

Export that structure.

Then for every campaign that uses those categories, you import that structure.

If you have further custom categories for that setting or game structure as you create more, you can update your structure Realm, export again and re-import.

If I understand the work that Rob and folks have been doing on export and import, RW will do the re-import, but won't mess with the first import as it does recognize the source of the import. No duplicates, just adding the changed content. Does that work for additional snippets within the structure realm's original categories?

Anyway, this way others could benefit if you shared the Realm structure, and they could even update their import if you change the shared structure export.

As time goes by, RW should be more and more useful if more content is shared by the community.
the_redbeard is offline   #5 Reply With Quote