Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

jflevesque

Old November 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to add a magic weapon that is created through a ritual. Once the ritual is complete, certain aspects of the base weapon are modified (certain properties are added or removed). Here are the requirements:

- Base weapon is either Spear or Pike
- Properties are now Reach, Finesse, 2Handed, Thrown (20/60)
- Damage is now d10 and Piercing.

1) Currently, I've copied from the +1 Weapon and modified it to only apply on Pike or Spear weapons. The properties seem to be applied correctly, but the damage is overridden by the base weapon (in this case, if I take the Spear, it changes to 1d6 piercing).

2) I would also like to be able to use this weapon as a base, to copy it and then bootstrap other weapons (example +1 Spear or +2 Pike), so the bonus and other features can be incorporated quickly (and possibly during play). I am not certain if this is doable, but if it can, that would be great.

How should I go about doing point #1? I've searched for videos or tutorials about weapon creations to no success. Most of the time, it is applying the abilities from another weapon onto another existing weapon, where in my case I want my weapon to override only certain aspects of the base weapon.

Example: If I had a +2 Flaming Spear, it would then become a 1d10+2 Piercing Flaming Spear with the above properties.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jflevesque; November 25th, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
jflevesque is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:12 AM
Best thing would probably be to create an Adjustment.

Set the Selection drop down so it only shows weapons on your Hero that are non-magical spears or Pikes.

Then use the Eval Script to add the desired properties.

I've used similar scripts to add Adjustments for Shillelagh, Green-flame blade, Pact Weapons, etc.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:50 AM
Hi Mergon,

I'll look into it this evening once I'm home. Using the adjustment method, would this also work on +1 weapons or other magical items?

Thanks,
JF
jflevesque is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old November 23rd, 2016, 07:54 AM
It all depends on how you set up your drop down filter. With magic weapons, you have more conflicts to worry about; especially when you start adding +1 and such. Finesse, Reach, and the such are easy to add & remove.

Mergon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Hi Mergon,

I'm currently trying the adjustment path from work and I can't seem to find the proper way to update the displayed name of the weapon. For my test, I'm using the +1 Weapon (Spear) and trying to override the name to append a prefix. I got to the point where my eval script is running at Final Phase 20001, and I can get the shortname, actName and trkBaseNm and override them with my prefix, but in the Armory column on my hero, I still see the +1 Spear name instead.

Any ideas on how to proceed to debug this?

Thanks,
JF
jflevesque is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old November 23rd, 2016, 09:52 AM
You need to modify the livename field on the weapon.

field[livename].text = "modified name"

Example: field[livename].text = "Summoned " & field[thingname].text

thingname is the original name of the weapon

Mergon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:18 PM
Hi Mergon,

The field[livename].text modification works perfectly for base weapons, but does not work when using the +1 Weapon equipment entry.

I'm not even certain where he gets the custom name, since I'm also overriding the shortname (just for good measure).

I've tried to find where the Custom Name field is stored on the +1 Weapon and how/when it overrides the livename, but no success for now.

Best regards,
JF
jflevesque is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:57 PM
With the +1 weapon, silver weapon, cold-iron weapon eval scripts that I have modiified for Adamantine, Mithril, etc. weapons, it was in the eval script. . .

Mergon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old November 24th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Hi Mergon,

I finally figured it out. My eval script was working from the start. Why it didn't show the changes to the livename was due to me specifying a Custom Name when I created the weapon within the Weapon's tab. By having no custom name defined, the updates to the livename are now reflected within the UI.

jflevesque is offline   #9 Reply With Quote