Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Terencio

Old July 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM
In trying to teach myself to use the system, I have tried to make a Battle Sorcerer. The first thing I did was make (New Copy) in editor, and copied the sorc. I then tried to use this copy but I get the warning:

Nothing to choose from.

I get that warning on bloodline, spells, etc. What am I doing wrong?
Terencio is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Terencio

Old July 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Also, where are all the threads walking through the creation process?
Terencio is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terencio View Post
Also, where are all the threads walking through the creation process?
You mean like this?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Terencio

Old July 17th, 2013, 12:52 AM
No, not really. I've done the video walk through, but it stops WAY before it explains anything I need to know. The vids are like the first two parts in an eight part series.

And none of it gives me a clue as to how to correct my problem with the copy of sorcerer not working. Anyone else out there at least know what I'm talking about? Am I missing something really simple?
Terencio is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
No, not really. I've done the video walk through, but it stops WAY before it explains anything I need to know. The vids are like the first two parts in an eight part series.
Actually the information is in the help I linked but its not in the videos. The help links you to ALLOT of information which does cover advanced classes.

Quote:
And none of it gives me a clue as to how to correct my problem with the copy of sorcerer not working. Anyone else out there at least know what I'm talking about? Am I missing something really simple?
Well it is in the help text provided but I agree their is allot of information.

Your main problem is you copied the sorcerer making a new sorcerer. So you don't have a sorcerer anymore you have Sorcerer_Something Else. So HL is not going to link the Sorcerer spells and Custom Abilities unless you tell it to do that.

I am thinking you want an Archetype NOT make a new base class here as I assume a Battle Sorcerer is just a Sorcerer with a few minor tweaks yes? That would be the definition of an Archetype.

So I would suggest starting with an Archetype that modifies the base Sorcerer instead.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Terencio

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:30 PM
No, I'm not trying for an archetype. While that may be a better way to do it, I'm really just trying to learn how to use the system. Maybe a "how to create a basic character class from beginning to end" sticky. Possibly labeled just like that. If I knew how to do it, I'd write it.

Now using what you just told me, I have to assume that the reason the class doesn't work is because the relevant information, the spell list "thing" and the bloodline "thing" link to "Sorcerer" not to "CSorcerer" that I just created. Is this correct?

If I were writing an instruction, would I say:
1) First, create a class copy by clicking on the class tab in the editor, then choose the class you want to build your new class on. You will have to give it a new name, a new abbreviated name and a 3 letter/number/symbol designation.

2) Your class won't work yet because all of the classes specials are not connected to this new class you've created, so you have to connect them, one by one. The way to do this is:
Terencio is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 17th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Have you read through the tutorials in the editor manual yet? Several of those are about classes. One is a record of all the steps that happened in order to create the alchemist class.

Within the editor, choose the Help menu, then "Help on Using the Editor".
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote