Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old July 31st, 2009, 11:51 PM
With the system being opened to new development by West End Games as a new open system, I'm trying to figure out where to start and what to edit to do a D6 variant template for HL. It would theoretically aid in the accounting involved in a project I'm working on.

The problem is that there are several variants of the D6 template that I would find useful. I don't know how to make even one from scratch at this point, and doing four or five similar templates with minor differences is a bit much.

D6's character creation system is point based, after a fashion. You have Attributes and Skills that are expressed as a die code such as 2D+2 (roll 2d6 and add 2 to the total when using the attribute or skill). You get 18 dice to spread around your attributes and 7 more dice to allocate to specific skills for a beginning character. Essentially, each die consists of three "pips", each equivalent in function to a character point, so it effectively translates to 54 attribute pips and 21 skill pips. You get to divide is among six normal attributes with a minimum of one die (three pips) in each. (There's a seventh attribute for supernormal abilities, but you can only put dice in it if such abilities exist -- and in the game I'm working on they don't).

Where do I begin with that?
MPHopcroft is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sketchpad

Old August 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM
As far as D6's attributes, I would start with converting them to pips, as you get 3 pips/die IIRC. Basically defining every 3 pips into a die and allotting extra pips into a "+" modifier. So, you actually would have 54 pips to allocate into the various stats, then 21 pips in skills. I would take a look at the Cortex and Savage Worlds modules for more on die codes and such ...

Oh ... and for the starting 1D in attributes, just subtract 3 pips/attributes from your starting dice and work from there ...

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer
DeviantArt|Facebook|Twitter
Sketchpad is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Are you going to be at GenCon next week? If so, we've got a number of seminars scheduled where we'll be going through the process of creating data files for different game systems. I think it would answer many of your initial questions.

In a nutshell, I would use the pips technique and create two separate resources. One resource would track the attribute pips assigned and the second would track the skill pips. The various attributes and skills would have incrementers to adjust them, which will allocate pips to them. I don't know enough about D6, so you might want to auto-add all skills and then adjust them - like attributes - or you might want to let the user choose which ones are added - like they are handled in the Savage Worlds files.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Are you going to be at GenCon next week?
Sadly, no. I don't have the funds for that this year -- haven't the last few years. Real shame -- I miss going to GenCon and seeing everybody.

Quote:
If so, we've got a number of seminars scheduled where we'll be going through the process of creating data files for different game systems. I think it would answer many of your initial questions.
And obviously there won't be transcripts. Rats.

Quote:
In a nutshell, I would use the pips technique and create two separate resources. One resource would track the attribute pips assigned and the second would track the skill pips. The various attributes and skills would have incrementers to adjust them, which will allocate pips to them. I don't know enough about D6, so you might want to auto-add all skills and then adjust them - like attributes - or you might want to let the user choose which ones are added - like they are handled in the Savage Worlds files.
That sounds good. D6 doesn't have universal Attributes for every setting like most RPGs such as Savage Worlds: different campaigns use different attribute sets; however, the number of Attributes is usually standardized (Almost always six, whatever they are, plus the Extranormal attribute that controls things like magic and psi). The core attributes start at 1D (which is taken out of the creation pool) and can go up to 5D if enough pips are spent on them (that's for beginning characters -- starting out more experienced would presumable give you some extra dice).
MPHopcroft is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old August 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Has anyone done anything with HeroLab and d6?
thedarkelf007 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I dont think anyone has done anything yet. I know there was some talk of 7th seas awhile back, but that used d10. the process might be the same though.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
I was hoping to use it with a d6 Star Wars game (or adapt) I might have a go at building one depending on timing.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I bought the authoring kit and I'm having ago. Is anyone interested in collaborating on Star Wars d6?
thedarkelf007 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote