Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

Fihnakis

Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:34 AM
Made a few characters to use with fantasy grounds and went to save custom output only to see that only d20pro and xml is supported. Well I know the FG character converter has an option to convert xml but the xml file output from HL doesn't work.

Any way to convert HL made 4E characters to FG other than manual input?
Fihnakis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old August 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Fihnakis,

How well do you know Java and/or XML?

It possible to take the custom XML output from Hero Lab, and massage it so that it can be imported into Fantasy Grounds.

I've done this for Castles & Crusades, and another user took my base code to do it for Savage Worlds.

I'd be more than happy to share my sample code.

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Fihnakis

Old August 5th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Java? I know it tastes good :-D All kidding aside I know next to nothing about either. With that said I know by looking inside the .xml output from Hero Lab I wouldn't be able to do anything with it as it has none of the relevant information about the character I created (I opened it when the FG converter was giving me an error about the .xml file). Here is all the output contains:

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<document>
<public>
<program name="Hero Lab" url="http://www.wolflair.com">
<programinfo>Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Dungeons &amp; Dragons and all other Wizards of the Coast product names are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast. ©2008-2014 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.</programinfo>
<version version="5.3" primary="5" secondary="3" tertiary="" build="449"/>
</program>
<localization language="eng" units="imperial"/>
<character active="yes" nature="normal" role="pc" relationship="ally" name="Unnamed Hero" playername="">
<journals>
<journal name="Title" gamedate="0" realdate="20140803">
<description/>
</journal>
</journals>
<images/>
<validation>
<report/>
</validation>
<settings summary="Rules Supplements: Adventurer's Vault, Adventurer's Vault 2, Arcane Power, Class Compendium, Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Demonomicon, Divine Power, Draconomicon, Dungeon Delve, Dungeon Master's Guide 2, Dungeon Master's Kit, Eberron Campaign Setting, Eberron Player's Guide, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, Heroes of Shadow, Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Feywild, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Into the Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Handbook, Manual of the Planes, Martial Power, Martial Power 2, Monster Manual 2, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, Neverwinter Campaign Setting, Open Grave, Player's Handbook 2, Player's Handbook 3, Player's Handbook Heroes, Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn, Player's Handbook Races: Tiefling, Primal Power, Psionic Power, Red Box Starter Set, The Book of Vile Darkness, The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos, The Shadowfell, Underdark; Rules Supplements -&gt; Adventures: Beyond the Crystal Cave, Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Magazine, E1 Death's Reach, E2 Kingdom of the Ghouls, E3 Prince of Undeath, FR1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard, H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, H3 Pyramid of Shadows, Halls of Undermountain, Hammerfast, HS1 The Slaying Stone, Madness at Gardmore Abbey, Marauders of the Dune Sea, P1 King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, P2 Demon Queen Enclave, P3 Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, Revenge of the Giants, Seekers of the Ashen Crown, Tomb of Horrors, Vor Rukoth, Web of the Spider Queen; Optional Rules -&gt; Language Options: Normal Languages; Output Options: Include Validation Report on Sheet"/>
<minions/>
</character>
</public>
</document>
Fihnakis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old August 5th, 2014, 10:15 AM
That's just a tad useless.

I took a look at the d20 XML output, and that looks usable.

BoomerET

BoomerET is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Fihnakis

Old August 5th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Tad useless Makes me really believe I just wasted $20
Fihnakis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Old August 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Just the custom xml output is useless, all the same info is in the d20pro output, and it's XML so same animal.

BoomerET is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old October 24th, 2014, 04:49 AM
FG has an import utility with a customized output sheet I believe. It's in their Laboratory forum.

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums...acter-Importer

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylanfs (or Nylan)

Hero Lab Shadowrun 4E & 5e user

Last edited by nylanfs; October 24th, 2014 at 05:08 AM.
nylanfs is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 13th, 2014, 05:14 PM
The real problem is that FG2's 4e support needs the custom modules with the powers and whatnot and needs to link them into a character (or at least it did when I last used it)... I have no clue how you'd link in 4e powers from the data files (which can be custom from player to player) vs HL's data.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #8 Reply With Quote