Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Gladiator66

Old August 21st, 2017, 08:08 AM
When I bootstrap a weapon to a creature of Large size or larger, the weapon remains Medium size. How can I specify that the weapon size match the size of the creature when I bootstrap the weapon to the creature. I have assigned the Helper.DamageUp tag, and that did not seem to do anything. Thanks.
Gladiator66 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 21st, 2017, 09:32 AM
Depending on the size of your creature, I think you have to simply increase the gSize field value on the weapon by 1 for large, 2 for huge, etc.... Normal size is 0.

Of course, why are you bootstrapping the weapon? If you wanted a creature to have a weapon for the Encounter builder, you can create a .stock file and give them copies of the weapon in the appropriate size.

Alternatively, you can bootstrap the Other Melee natural attack and give it the correct name and stats.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Gladiator66

Old August 21st, 2017, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Depending on the size of your creature, I think you have to simply increase the gSize field value on the weapon by 1 for large, 2 for huge, etc.... Normal size is 0.

Of course, why are you bootstrapping the weapon? If you wanted a creature to have a weapon for the Encounter builder, you can create a .stock file and give them copies of the weapon in the appropriate size.

Alternatively, you can bootstrap the Other Melee natural attack and give it the correct name and stats.
Thanks for the response, dungeonguru. I had tried increasing the gSize field value on the weapon as part of the bootstrap, but I was getting the following error:

- Thing 'rxxxx' - Bootstrap value assignment precludes persistence for field 'gSize'.

where rxxxx is the creature that I am bootstrapping to.

I also realize that I can use the Encounter Builder and the Other Melee natural attack options. However, there are some situations where bootstrapping the weapon would be of benefit to me. Also, after experimenting with this for a bit, I would like to better understand what is required to make it work. Thanks again.
Gladiator66 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 24th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Have you tried having an eval script set the field value? Haven't looked into it, just spitballing.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Have you tried having an eval script set the field value? Haven't looked into it, just spitballing.
Most of the equipment manipulations need to generally be done in the Final to Render phase and the gSize field is easily manipulated in a script.

The following snippet (of working code for an activated "increase weapon size for longsword" ability) could be modified to run on any trigger, like a menu drop or however you want to turn it on and off.

Code:
if (field[abilActive].value <> 0) then
     foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "thingid.wLongsword"
        eachpick.field[gSize].value += 1
     nexteach
endif
thingid.wLongsword could be replaced with anything that narrows down the weapon, like if "!wGroup.Natural" to affect all weapons that are NOT natural weapons, etc...

foreach pick loops are CPU hoggish, but they do get the job done.

Last edited by dungeonguru; August 24th, 2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: corrected grammar
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gladiator66

Old September 3rd, 2017, 01:57 PM
Thanks, dungeonguru. That got me on the right track. I had to do a little bit of tweaking to get it to work since clicking the mainhand and offhand check boxes would cause the size to increase by 2 more to 4, which is "guargantuan". I added a check step to only make the change if "gSize" had not already been increased. I also increased the weapon size to automatically match the size of the creature.
Code:
     var size as number
     if (hero.tagis[Size.Large] <> 0) then
        size = 1
     elseif (hero.tagis[Size.Huge] <> 0) then
        size = 2
     elseif (hero.tagis[Size.Gargantuan] <> 0) then
        size = 3
     endif

foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "!wGroup.Natural"
        if (eachpick.field[gSize].value = 0) then
           eachpick.field[gSize].value += size
        endif
     nexteach

Last edited by Gladiator66; September 4th, 2017 at 06:35 AM.
Gladiator66 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote