Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_jm View Post
Rob, I have already submitted an error report on this.
The crash occurs when I use Manage Names and change the Case Matching from Ignore to Sensitive. Click save after that and it crashes. I have tested on topics with existing links and without and get the same result.
I had already made this change on many topics before this occurred, but now get the error with every attempt.
I can edit topics in all other ways and do not have the problem.

And, yes, I'm using build 204
I haven't been able to reproduce anything like this. There was a different bug that we fixed and that MIGHT have led to this problem, but I'm not sure. If this issue persists for you, I'll need you to send us your database and steps to reliably recreate the problem. There seems to be something odd going on here.

Another possibility that I just thought of is that your name index has somehow become corrupted. Since you don't state what the crash error is, I have no way of knowing here. In case that's the problem, go to the Manage tab and select the Rebuild Index option at the far right. Does that fix the problem?
rob is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
Hey Rob,

I too have had several crashes since the updates. When it crashes it asks if you want to send a report. It also gives you a window to give a brief description of what you were doing when it crashed. I generally do not do bug reports, just crash reports. I say what I was doing IE "I was navigating from a mechanical reference to a story book topic." Is this enough or do you need the bug report and even more information? For those of us who are code illiterate, what information do you need?

I had no idea what was causing my crashes, but thinking back I would agree that it appears to happen most when I am saving one topic and moving to another.
What we do with the crash reports is try to think of what might have led to the problem. Often times, we're at a complete loss, so it becomes a process of searching for a needle within a haystack, where the crash report gives us clues that help narrow the problem down, but it still leaves a LOT of haystack to search. Anything we're told in the crash report is helpful in narrowing down what might have caused the problem, so there's honestly no such thing as "too much" detail.

Quite often, something you had done many actions prior to the crash is what messed up, leaving a landmine that gets stepped on later. Here's an example of something I just fixed for this release. If you changed the parent of a topic that itself had children such that it was moved to a new depth in the hierarchy, subsequently editing one of those children (or creating a new sibling for one of those children) would cause a crash. So it was changing the parent that actually was the problem, although the crash would occur when operating on a child. That's not something users will necessarily include in the crash report (as your example demonstrates). So we'll take everything we can get!
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakzahn View Post
I've been having crashes whenever I try to delete an article, which means I can't move on with what I'm doing. I've sent some reports via the automatic reporting system, but here is what it says in the error:

C++ Exception: Invalid head sentinel - wiped? at line 658 in file utility.cpp

I'm also completely up to date.
This sounds like your name index is corrupted. Go to the Manage tab and select the Rebuild Index option at the far right. Does that fix the problem?
rob is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraupaul View Post
At this point I’m fairly certain my crashes are related to hyperlinks. I can eliminate them by highlighting text, copy and paste special ‘unformatted text’… which will probably only take about a hundred hours to cleaned up…
We fixed a crash bug that sounds like your description. So hopefully you'll be good to go with the new release.
rob is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Zakzahn

Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This sounds like your name index is corrupted. Go to the Manage tab and select the Rebuild Index option at the far right. Does that fix the problem?
Yes, that does seem to have fixed it thanks
Zakzahn is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rogue_jm

Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:34 PM
The issue I had seems to have resolved with the latest update (build 205). I noticed the loading of the database showed "Rebuilding Index" for while (at least more than I have noticed before), so I am guessing the Index Rebuild Rob had mentioned was the resolution.

Spoke to soon. The issue continues. Have just lodged new error report. I have also tried rebuild of index and removal of preferences.xml, but to no avail. Error comment is "Wrapper objection found within list".

Last edited by rogue_jm; October 23rd, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
rogue_jm is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_jm View Post
The issue I had seems to have resolved with the latest update (build 205). I noticed the loading of the database showed "Rebuilding Index" for while (at least more than I have noticed before), so I am guessing the Index Rebuild Rob had mentioned was the resolution.

Spoke to soon. The issue continues. Have just lodged new error report. I have also tried rebuild of index and removal of preferences.xml, but to no avail. Error comment is "Wrapper objection found within list".
We had to force the index to be rebuilt since we changed the rules for names (minimum length of 2 and new characters treated as part of the name). So it appears the rebuild fixed that problem.

The issue with the "wrapper object not found" is completely different. We will investigate shortly. That issue should apply to a single topic, so you should be able to work within RW on everything else. Just avoid that topic for now. If you can't launch because that topic is active in a tab, see my suggestion up-thread for deleting local preferences. That should get you operational on everything else until we get the current issue resolved.
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Decapus

Old October 24th, 2015, 06:34 AM
The new update didn't solve my problem. I also selected the delete preferences, and RW still crashes. Please tell me that you can fix this problem, as i am beginning to get very nervous.
Decapus is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Decapus

Old October 24th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The issue is that the one topic is messed up, as you've determined. We're adding a way to work around this type of problem in tonight's release. Once this release goes out, get it, then go to the Tools tab of the Launch Window. Select the new Delete Preferences option and choose the realm that's crashing. Then you can load the realm and avoid the problematic topic.

Of course, we've hopefully fixed this issue, so the topic will be fine. If not, the above will get you into your realm until we get the bug fixed.

The new update didn't solve my problem. I also selected the delete preferences, and RW still crashes. Please tell me that you can fix this problem, as i am beginning to get very nervous.

Note: I spoke too early. After this post i rebooted the computer and now i can get into my realm, but Realm Works still crashes when i try opening the corrupted topic.

Last edited by Decapus; October 24th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.
Decapus is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 24th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapus View Post

Note: I spoke too early. After this post i rebooted the computer and now i can get into my realm, but Realm Works still crashes when i try opening the corrupted topic.
So we're down to a single topic that crashes when loaded, which is a marked improvement. As long as you've submitted the crash reports for this problem, we'll be investigating it and working to get it resolved.
rob is offline   #30 Reply With Quote