Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old October 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
When the sexy marketplace is active, this issue should become moot. You'll be able to create a "master" realm, upload to the market as a private file, and then download it to create a copy as often as you'd like.

While I presume the realms in the marketplace are snapshots-in-time, I assume one could overwrite downloaded material with a newer snapshot or that there will be some of releasing corrections/addenda for released materials. So you could put everything about the world and ruleset into your master and then copy that data over the active ones which have the plots for their particular group to keep them all up-to-date with the current world/ruleset info.
@AEIOU I agree and that is how I foresee it as well..... except the "sexy market place part"

@ IFandBut...
Databases by design collect LARGE quantities of data (information) and then act as custom filters (templates, searches, queries, "snipits" etc) to cull the info from a LARGE source into the desired request.... by having all the data in one place and allowing it to grow and expand makes the information more detailed,, more complete. The trade off is size of file (and file Bloat which I wont go into here) and a higher degree of complexity.

When we create Realms within our "database", we are instructing RW to keep these separate, that is why they cannot interact (currently). Think of it as two file cabinets containing similar information within the same room. Even though they exist in the same room, there may be a file on John Smith in both. One cabinet may contain all of John's purchases he made on line while the other might contain Johns favorite flower. Both contain information about John, but the information is separated by the way the cabinets were filled. IF instead all of John's information were kept in a single file, the file would be larger, but all the information on John would be in one place, and a search filter might deduce that Johns favorite flower must be a red rose because he had made 10 purchases of red roses in the last year (or John's wife likes red roses and John is in the dog house?)

Whereas in a spreadsheet, they all have basic functions alike and the data is arranged only certain ways (Columns and Rows). A database allows for ALOT of differing arrangements based on request, filters, templates (hopefully even reports someday)... Even spreadsheets have come to emulate this to a lesser extent (ie Pivot Tables, @lookup commands etc).

Its not to say separating your realms is "bad". If they are tooo dissimilar it makes sense.... If you have a 3.5 pathfinder D&D session, you may not ever have plans for it to converge with a Star Wars Roleplay. so you would want that separation.
If instead you are utilizing the same ruleset, the same campaign world but just differing groups in different locales, you could do either.. for me I keep them in one world and await the new and improved custom calendars to manage the one group in the land of humans and the other in the land of the Elves... (hint hint Rob )
But that is just me and ONE approach, not the only approach.

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; October 9th, 2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Clarified spreadsheet similarities & misspells
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
GroundZero86

Old November 15th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Anybody know if it is possible yet to move topics between campaigns?
GroundZero86 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 15th, 2015, 07:30 AM
It isn't. you'll have to wait for the Content Market for that.
kbs666 is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Rob recently noted that Marketplace will be opened in phases so until he expands on what that means we have to hope for sometime probably next year.
AEIOU is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
GroundZero86

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Rob recently noted that Marketplace will be opened in phases so until he expands on what that means we have to hope for sometime probably next year.
Thanks guys, that was going to be my next question. I presume they haven't given us any details about what each phase will be yet.

That's unfortunate, I anticipate that I have about 3 months before my ongoing campaigns merge and I have been trying to hold off for the market place update, but it looks time is running out.
GroundZero86 is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 15th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I know that an announcement on the market is coming next month and that 3rd party publishers are converting products to RW so the first stage of the Market must be reasonably close. What that first stage will be is anybody's guess.
kbs666 is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 15th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I hear you. Being able to transfer material between our own realms should be the top priority followed by popular rule sets or SRD integration, but I have a suspicion it'll be a handful of big name titles with hefty prices and then a stupid long wait for what we need. That said, I want to be wrong so let's hope that my predictions aren't accurate.
AEIOU is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 15th, 2015, 09:18 PM
I put my money on AEIOU's prediction, sans the "stupid-long time" phrase. The first phase will likely be a release of the highly vetted and well-tested materials from better-known publishers. The goals will likely be: (1) deliver stretch goals from the Kickstarter, (2) make sure the well-designed content—which uses all the best practices--plays well with realms it is integrated into and squash any identified bugs before opening the CM for anyone to make content available, (3) make money by having titles with a substantial amount of high-quality content.

Phase Two will likely be focused on any user being able to share and sell content. I would expect it would take several months for everything to settle after phase I.

This is all pure speculation. But it is fun way to pass the time while we way for next month's big announcement.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #38 Reply With Quote