Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 11th, 2016, 07:07 PM
I'm getting ready to start working on a game for my home groups here, with kind of an odd Setting, and I was curious if there was any interest in it...

There was a show in the 80's called "The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers". It's kind of a sci-fi/superhero fusion with an amazing amount of depth for a half-hour animated show.

I'm going to build a whole Setting file for it as I work, so eventually I'll have a complete file that I could distribute. So, I'm curious if there would be any demand for this particular Setting. It would require both the Sci-Fi Companion and the Super Powers Companion Second Edition.

If folks want more of a description, let me know and I can post what I've given to my players. Most of them weren't familiar with it, so I can get away with using a ton of material from the show (65 episodes worth). Some are fairly silly, but there's a lot of good material there.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 12th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I'll take any setting folks make, although I can't say that I would necessarily expect to use this one (or easily half of the settings I already have, for that matter). Now maybe if this were a setting for "Battle of the Planets" (that's the one I kind of grew up with, although that was in the '70s rather than the '80s, although I hear they did on of it in the '80s called "G-Force: Guardians of Space", or something like that)...

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 12th, 2016, 04:22 PM
I used to watch both of those. They were not re-runs. I thought the Galaxy Rangers were better out of the two.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old October 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Yes please.
dartnet is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old October 12th, 2016, 05:17 PM
Here’s the show’s lead-in blurb:

In 2086, two peaceful aliens journeyed to Earth, seeking our help. In return, they gave us the plans for our first hyperdrive, allowing mankind to open the door to stars. We have assembled a team of unique individuals to protect Earth and our allies. Courageous pioneers committed to the highest ideals of justice. And dedicated to preserving law and order throughout the New Frontier, these are the Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers! (all to a really cool song called “No Guts, No Glory” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf2OXJcvhI)

The cheese level is a bit high, but it is a kid’s show from the 80’s. It’s developed a real cult following because it actually had story depth, something most of these kinds of shows didn’t have. It was a western-flavored sci-fi show from 1986-89, way before Firefly was even an idea. It was one season, with 65(!) half-hour episodes, all of which I have on disk, so I have a wealth of story material (The Blackhole Gang, and Geezi the Pudulont, for instance. The BHG hates the Rangers, and Geezi thinks “hummings” are strange but interesting, and he’s quite sure he’ll NEVER understand them. Also, the Queen of the Crown makes a great villain. Her psychic contact with her Slaver Lords is complete, allowing her to “be” anywhere one of her Slaver Lords is.) The Galaxy Rangers are Earth’s contribution to galactic law enforcement. The Series 5 Rangers (the heroes of the show) are a new advancement, and there are only the 4 of them on the show. They each have cybernetic implants activated by their badges that give them unique abilities. The leader has a cyber-arm, which is very strong and it can launch a high-powered energy bolt after charging up for a second. Think blow-a-hole-in-a-destroyer powered. Their fighter pilot’s implant gives him bio-defenses, with the ability to heal, and also alter his body’s structure in order to give himself specific immunities, one at a time. The medic’s implant gives her telepathic/psychic abilities, and the tech’s implant gives him control over semi-sentient computer programs.

Here’s the description from Wikipedia (slightly sanitized for players):
======================================
The show is set in the future, some time after the year 2086, when two aliens from the planets Andor and Kirwin travel to Earth to search for allies against the expansionist Crown Empire led by the Queen of the Crown. In return for the help, the two aliens gave mankind construction plans for a hyperdrive device. After this key event in human history, interstellar travel flourished and a huge number of colonies emerged in distant star-systems. Alongside the growth of human activities in space, criminal activities also grew, and the new colonies required defense against various threats, including the Crown Empire. A group known as "BETA" (Bureau for Extra-Terrestrial Affairs) was founded to cope with these tasks, with a "Ranger" division being a part of it.

Most of the colonies portrayed in the show specialized in either agriculture or mining "star stones". Many of the planets on the show have names that evoke ideas of a Western setting, Nebraska, Mesa, Ozark, and Prairie being a few.

BETA is shown to be the major military and exploratory arm of Earth. The organization's headquarters are on Earth. BETA sustains several bases on and around Earth, such as the Longshot Research Facility in the Grand Canyon and the BETA space station in Earth's orbit.

The Series-5 Brain Implant, or S5 is implied to be the closest mankind will ever get to merging with cybernetics. The S5 implant enables a dramatic boost of innate abilities due to its unique conversion of bio-electrical power generated by alpha radiation stored within the badges worn by the Galaxy Rangers.

The Crown Empire, also known as the "Crown," is ruled by the Queen of the Crown, whose intentions and motivations are described as being evil. She controls a large number of planets in a vast section of the galaxy, all of which she rules as a cruel tyrant. The Queen controls her empire using creatures called Slaver Lords with whom she has a psychic link.
======================================

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old October 12th, 2016, 05:19 PM
I'm using Super Powers for the implants rather than Cyberware, as it's much easier to duplicate the abilities. The four badges power sets are a really good division of abilities. Attack, Defense, Dealing with Organic Beings, Dealing with Technology.

_
_

Last edited by CapedCrusader; October 12th, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #6 Reply With Quote