Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old November 9th, 2015, 10:59 PM
How are you using the "Political Regions" tag in the Politcal:Region topic?

Do you . . .

(1) Use it to categorize by a general, generic unit?

Example: A kingdom would be tagged with "country"

(2) Use it to categorize with the specific form?

Example: A country whose ruler is a king or queen would be tagged as a "kingdom", a country governed by elected representatives would be a "republic", etc.

(3) Both 1 and 2.

Example: a country with a king receives at least two tags, "kingdom" and "country". You might also apply the tags "constitutional monarchy" and "sovereign state" if that level of specificity is helpful in your campaign.

I'm thinking about instituting a lazy man's version of #3, but worry about being consistent across topics.

The default tags seem to support #3 or, at least, are just provided as examples rather than an attempt to be a complete set of options. The default options are:
  1. Colony
  2. County
  3. Empire
  4. Nation
  5. Other
  6. Protectorate
  7. Province
  8. Quadrant
  9. Sector
  10. Sphere of Influence
  11. State
  12. Territory

"Kingdom" is conspicuously missing.

The default must be intended only as examples because it would be hard to take a consistent approach with this out-of-the-box list.

For those of you who do use the Political Regions tag, and who have customized it, what options are included in your list?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; November 9th, 2015 at 11:13 PM.
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 10th, 2015, 05:34 AM
I'm customizing the tag list to better fit a fantasy setting with medieval political divisions.

For kingdom I'm assuming that I'll know that a kingdom is also a country.
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I think "Nation" is largely considered a synonym for "Country".

An Empire usually has sovereignty over more than one Nation. A County is often used as a sub-division within another (such as a State, in the U.S.) without implying rulership by a Count... it could as easily be used to refer to the Parishes of Louisiana (which are, I believe, equivalent units of organization).

Province can be regarded as equivalent to State in some ways, but there may be legal differences that matter in some campaigns.. such as Commonwealths in the U.S. Not all 50 U.S. "states" are actually States... at least 2 (Massachusetts and Virginia) are legally Commonwealths. There may be no practical difference in most people's lives, but every once in a while it comes up in odd ways.

So what I see in the default list are entries that could fit into a hierarchical listing based on sub-divisions and purpose.

Last edited by Silveras; November 10th, 2015 at 08:21 AM.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I think "Nation" is largely considered a synonym for "Country".
I don't think that's strictly true, or not true everywhere. My nation (nationality) is of the United Kingdom, but the United Kingdom is made up of the country of England, the country of Scotland, the country (principality) of Wales and the province of Northern Ireland and several islands (Jersey, Guernsey, the Scilly Islands and the Isle of Man) whose strict relationship to the UK varies depending on which one you're talking about.

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales but not Northern Ireland or the various channel islands.

Never call a Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish person "English" and try to avoid calling them "British". They may never forgive you.

Which is to say: it can be more complicated than that.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+

Last edited by Lexin; November 10th, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
Lexin is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 10th, 2015, 04:15 PM
In the United States, Nation is often used for "a tribe or federation of tribes" and is not necessarily tied to a geographic area. I like the InfoPlease definition of Nation: "A nation is a group of people who share the same culture, language, institutions, religion, and history—usually a group of people larger than a tribe or community. When a nation of people has an independent State of their own it is often called a nation-state. The Kurds are a nation without a State, but France, Germany, and Japan are examples of nation-states."

The Wikipedia article on nation goes into more detail on the controversies surrounding and ambiguity of the term nation.

It clearly is often used in a manner distinct from "country."

I'm thinking that the default is fine. I will likely hide "sector" and "quadrant" and I may add some specific divisions.

I don't need terms like "kingdom" if there is "country", instead, I may add a tag for type of government.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote