Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lord Lorne Walkier

Old January 19th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Perhaps we could all send GW a message some how? So that our question here becomes a FAQ? I work around the problem by buying my sergeants Melta bombs and a Teleport homer to counts as a plasma pistol but that is Meh.
Lord Lorne Walkier is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
yakmandoo

Old January 26th, 2014, 04:59 PM
GW answered this in the Force Requisition part of the iPad codex. The sergeant can take the options in question.
yakmandoo is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
jboweruk

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakmandoo View Post
GW answered this in the Force Requisition part of the iPad codex. The sergeant can take the options in question.
No, it's wrong, AB40k devs said so therefore it must be true... (sarcasm)
jboweruk is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
slart

Old February 4th, 2014, 11:52 AM
So this was weird to me too. The rule seems pretty clear to me.

I'm no expert, but i poked around with the data file.

Open the builder from the developer tab in AB.

Open the data file you want to edit, doing Imperial Fists, for example, then open if6EDat.dat, Space marine in something like SM6edition or something.

On the unit tab, scroll down to SgtTac and select it. On the right hand side, I found Linksets. There are 4. One is if6_Melee1. Click Manage.

Click Edit after selecting the Melee field. I changed mine to if6_Melee2. Closed, then saved. Opened AB again and went to IF roster, loaded a Tactical squad and got both options.

Not intuitive, but it works.
slart is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Kloud13

Old February 4th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I believe FAQ's now come in the form of updates to the digital version of the codex's.
Kloud13 is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
jboweruk

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloud13 View Post
I believe FAQ's now come in the form of updates to the digital version of the codex's.
That's great, but where does that leave the rest of us?
jboweruk is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
jboweruk

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slart View Post
So this was weird to me too. The rule seems pretty clear to me.

I'm no expert, but i poked around with the data file.

Open the builder from the developer tab in AB.

Open the data file you want to edit, doing Imperial Fists, for example, then open if6EDat.dat, Space marine in something like SM6edition or something.

On the unit tab, scroll down to SgtTac and select it. On the right hand side, I found Linksets. There are 4. One is if6_Melee1. Click Manage.

Click Edit after selecting the Melee field. I changed mine to if6_Melee2. Closed, then saved. Opened AB again and went to IF roster, loaded a Tactical squad and got both options.

Not intuitive, but it works.
I couldn't get this to change anything, so I'll just stick with Battlescribe for now, until somebody admits they're wrong and upates AB accordingly, but then, so many things are missing from AB now it's become useless to me anyhow.
jboweruk is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
slart

Old February 6th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Hmmm. I also found you could remove the Melee1 and add melee2. It also worked for me in the regular SM dat file.
slart is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Carny

Old February 8th, 2014, 11:45 PM
I was a bit surprised by this as well.
both RAW and RAI seems pretty clear and (for once) in agreement.

You are clearly told that you can replace Bolt pistol/ Bolt Gun with a chain sword. This is denoted with a bulletpoint.(which in common english(or more or less any language that utilize bullet points ) grammar indicates a string of textual events with a hierarchical order of precedence. Linguistically speaking there is no doubt that speech act "replace..." is directive (it offers an advice or command) and comissive (it dictates further action/) and it takes place before (and in the textual hierarchy) above the "take from list" which is also directive and comissive.We do not (at least not in english grammat) allow for an optional reading direction).

Both "Replace... and "take from list..." alter the same subject, but we do not have the grammatical option to select which one takes precedence. The use of bullet point and the standardized reading order dictates that the sarge must replace the sword (or not) before he even gets to choose from the lists. That means the subject arrives at the textual event "replace" either: Bolt gun & Bolt Pistol /Bolt gun & Chain sword/ Bolt Pistol & chain sword /chain sword. and must complete it before passing on.

As the choice is comissive and directive and comissive (ortherwise they wouldn't have any meaning)the subject is now altered. Now it arrives at the next bullet point and the altered subject can now pick options based on its current status.
Note how melee/ranged lists are not seperated by bullet points. That because to do so would allow the sergeant to replace picks from the melee lists with picks from the ranged list (meaning he would first pay for a melee pick and then replace it (not getting a refund) with picks from the ranged list. That would have silly effects...

So it is not a conflict of RAW vs RAI but a question about understanding grammar I am sorry to say.
Carny is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but with my Tac Marine Squad I can legally equip both a Power Sword and a Plasma pistol onto my sergeant without it throwing any validation errors.

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #30 Reply With Quote