Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

DannyBoy2k

Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:16 AM
I was wondering how one 'link', for lack of a better word, an ability such as, for instance the monk Improved Armor Class, so that it shows up on the character sheet? I see how you make the ability, and it does show up as text...but the relevant Misc increase does not.

In the case I'm trying to add, the Swashbuckler class, which I have managed to create should, at level 2, get an additional +1 Reflex save. And I cannot figure out how to GIVE this additional save.

Sorry if I'm a bit rambling, hard to explain what I want.
DannyBoy2k is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
At 05:16 AM 2/3/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering how one 'link', for lack of a better word, an ability such as, for instance the monk Improved Armor Class, so that it shows up on the character sheet? I see how you make the ability, and it does show up as text...but the relevant Misc increase does not.

In the case I'm trying to add, the Swashbuckler class, which I have managed to create [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] should, at level 2, get an additional +1 Reflex save. And I cannot figure out how to GIVE this additional save.

Sorry if I'm a bit rambling, hard to explain what I want.
Note! This is lengthy, because this is a step-by-step walk-through that other users might find useful. If you already know most of this stuff, just skim through for the few bits that you aren't clear on and skip the rest. :-)

If I'm understanding correctly, you have the Swashbuckler class implemented, and what's missing is the assignment of the extra +1 Reflex save at Level 2. Assuming I understand properly....

First, I'll outline how this works, then I'll go into the specifics. As a general rule, all special abilities conferred by a class are defined as "class specials" within the data files. Each class special ability is then attached by the "class helper" thing via a "bootstrap" entry. So, you'll first need to define the class special ability that confers "Grace (+1 Reflex save)" and then you'll need to attach the special ability to the class.

You'll attach it to the "class helper" instead of the "class level", because a separate "class level" is added for every level in the class, while only a single "class helper" is added, regardless of the level. Since the ability will be bootstrapped, attaching it via the "class level" thing would add the ability once for every level. Since you only want it added a single time, you'll attach it to the "class helper" instead.

All class special abilities are defined via the "Class Specials" tab within the editor. In fact, you're in luck, because the Duelist class already has a "Grace" special ability that can be adapted for use by the Swashbuckler. So we'll start by duplicating the Duelist's "Grace" ability:

1. Within the Editor, click on the "Class Specials" tab.
2. Click on the "New (Copy)" button in the lower left. This shows you a list of all the existing class special abilities.
3. Scroll down and pick the "Grace (Ex) (cDueGrace)" ability.
4. Click "OK".

You now have a special ability that does most of what you want already. Proceed as follows:

1. Modify the name, description, and summary text fields appropriately.
2. Assign your ability a suitable unique id. If you wish to be consistent with the conventions used in the data files (recommended), the id should start with a lower-case 'c' (for "class-related"), then have the three-letter prefix for the class (e.g. "Swb"), and then name the ability (e.g. "Grace2" for the level 2 Grace ability). Remember that you only have 10 characters total, so you might use an id of "cSwbGrace2".
3. Specify the "sort order" field as 2, which corresponds to the level at which the ability becomes available. This field ensures that all of the special abilities for the class are displayed in a suitable order based on the level progression, with 1st-level abilities appearing, then 2nd-level abilities, etc.
4. In the "Source" droplist, select the "Swashbuckler" class that should appear.
5. For "Level Requirement", pick "2". This is the minimum level at which the ability becomes active.
6. Since this ability will apply it's adjustments automatically, you don't need it to appear in the "Specials" tab. So check the "Upgrade" box.
7. There are no charges associated with this ability, so the other facets can be left unchanged.

The last thing you need to do for the special ability is modify the Eval Script. The script is where you'll check the conditions and apply the adjustment for the Reflex save. Click on the "Eval Scripts" button the right and you'll see the script that is used for the Duelist. You'll need to make one key change. The final line of the script applies the +2 bonus to the Reflex save, so you can leave it alone. The change is needed in the pre-condition for applying the bonus. The Duelist is tied to wearing armor or using a shield, whereas the Swashbuckler is tied to the encumbrance level. So we simply need to change the "if" test appropriately. Since the "tEncumLev" field contains the encumbrance level, and a value of 2+ indicates a medium load or heavier, this is achieved by changing the "if" test to the new line below:

*** if (hero.child[Totals].field[tEncumLev].value >= 2) then

You can now save all your changes to the special ability.

Now you need to make sure that the special ability is automatically attached whenever the Swashbuckler class is used. This is quick and easy:

1. Go to you Swashbuckler class that you have already created. Be sure to use the "class helper" thing and NOT the "class level" thing.
2. Click on the Bootstraps button along the right, which will bring up a list of all the things that are automatically added by the class.
3. Click at the bottom to add a new bootstrap entry, and a new blank entry appears.
4. In the first slot labeled "Thing:", enter the unique id of the special ability thing you just created above. If you used the id suggested, it would "cSwbGrace2".
5. Click OK on the form to exit it.
6. Save your changes to the class.

At this point, you'll need to splice in both the new special ability AND the class helper. Once that's done, you should be able to see everything work smoothly for the Grace ability of your Swashbuckler. To add the additional Grace entries for higher levels, you'll simply copy the one you created above and modify it appropriately.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 4th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Well, that's pretty much what I managed to figure out, in between my question and your answer. Unfortunately, it manages to give the +1 reflex save 'all the same'. As in, before I should get it. I have this save at level 1. And when I made the other levels, +2 at level 11 and +3 at level 20, it gave me +3 at level one. So, something seems to be the matter...

As far as I can tell, having fiddled a bit, using the line

hero.child[vRef].field[BonComp].value = maximum(hero.child[vRef].field[BonComp].value, 2)

from the Duelist class causes this problem. But, I can't see what the reason WHY it dun appreciate this particular line.
DannyBoy2k is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Small nudge, just so I might be educated a bit more.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
At 05:54 AM 2/4/2007, you wrote:

>Well, that's pretty much what I managed to figure out, in between my
>question and your answer. Unfortunately, it manages to give the +1
>reflex save 'all the same'. As in, before I should get it. I have
>this save at level 1. And when I made the other levels, +2 at level
>11 and +3 at level 20, it gave me +3 at level one. So, something
>seems to be the matter...

(I'm assuming that you've set up the "+1 reflex save" ability as a
"Class Special" thing in the editor? If not, let me know how you did
it and we can turn it into one.)

Right now you should have a script that does something like:

hero.child[vRef].field[Bonus].value = hero.child[vRef].field[Bonus].value + 1

With the "level requirement" set to 2 or 3. However, that means the
script will always run, no matter what level you are.

To make the script not run depending on your level, you need to
insert the following text before it:

if (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0) then
done
endif

So the full script will look something like:

if (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0) then
done
endif
hero.child[vRef].field[Bonus].value = hero.child[vRef].field[Bonus].value + 1

This "if" statement checks for the "Helper.ShowSpec" tag, which is
only present if you're of a high enough level to use the ability. If
it's not found (= 0) then the script is done and exits. Otherwise
(i.e. if you're high enough level), the reflex save is adjusted.

Does that help? If there's anything I'm not being clear on, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Colen McAlister (colen@wolflair.com)
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
http://www.wolflair.com/
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM
This is nice, this is cute....what the h*ll is it?

Sorry, watching too much Mel Brooks. Anyways, this is exactly what I was looking for, many thanks. I've also managed to semi-steal an eval from the Monk...but I was wondering, is there any list of what the various things are called?
Reflex save, I figured from the above, is vRef. aINT and aWIS and so on are Intelligence and Wisdom(something I feel thorough lacking in). But, for instance, what is weapon damage? Or attack bonus? And so forth.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Oh, and one other thing I was wondering...is it at all possible to make a spell-caster, or is that sort of on hiatus? Wondering since my spell-caster-class-appempt(long word, that!) can't add any spells...which makes it sorta useless.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
At 08:03 AM 2/7/2007, you wrote:
>this is exactly what I was looking for, many thanks. I've also
>managed to semi-steal an eval from the Monk...but I was wondering,
>is there any list of what the various things are called?
>Reflex save, I figured from the above, is vRef. aINT and aWIS and so
>on are Intelligence and Wisdom(something I feel thorough lacking
>in). But, for instance, what is weapon damage? Or attack bonus?
>Smile
> And so forth.

Currently there's no such list of stuff. One of the things we plan to
do in the future is document all that, so that you can just read
through the documentation and find it out. Look for that stuff to
appear as we continue to improve the editing capabilities of Hero Lab.

--
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
At 11:07 AM 2/8/2007, you wrote:

>Oh, and one other thing I was wondering...is it at all possible to
>make a spell-caster, or is that sort of on hiatus? Wondering since
>my spell-caster-class-appempt(long word, that!) can't add any
>spells...which makes it sorta useless.
>Smile

You should now be able to add a basic spellcasting class. When you're
editing the class helper object in the editor, you should be able to
scroll down the list of items and see "Spellcaster Type" appropriately.

If you want to have access to the list of spells from another class,
make sure to also set the "Spell Class Tag" (5th from the top of the
list) to the class you want to copy.

Note: After making these changes, you'll need to recreate the panel
for the class, or things won't work.

Hope this helps!

--
Colen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old February 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen
At 08:03 AM 2/7/2007, you wrote:

Currently there's no such list of stuff. One of the things we plan to
do in the future is document all that, so that you can just read
through the documentation and find it out. Look for that stuff to
appear as we continue to improve the editing capabilities of Hero Lab.
Ok...then I would like to know if there is any way to add to the damage bonus, beyond what strength gives? Especially for the Swashbuckler class, who gets to add the Int-bonus on top of the strength bonus.
DannyBoy2k is offline   #10 Reply With Quote