Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

johnkzin

Old March 25th, 2017, 06:16 PM
1)
Why does the Mac version put files into Documents/Hero Lab ... but the iPad puts it into Apps/Hero Lab? I guess more correctly, you might say that the iPad is putting them into Dropbox/Apps/Hero Lab ... but then, the on my Mac, Documents is a symlink to Dropbox/Documents, so it's Dropbox/Documents/Hero Lab

This means I either have to move the character away from where the Mac version of Hero Lab puts them, and into where the iPad version puts them. When, really, both apps should be configurable as to where their default location is, and do what I tell them (instead of arrogant developers thinking they should tell me how to organize my file system).

2)
Why does the iPad version not search sub-folders?

For example, my characters are arranged like this:

Dropbox/Documents/Hero Lab/portfolios/5e/{character-name}/{character-name}.por

I put other things into that folder as well, such as the images for that character, the print-to-pdf version of that character, sometimes old versions of the character's PDF and portfolio, etc. It makes a nice grouped arrangement by character.

Even if I move the character-name folder to Dropbox/Apps/Hero Lab ... it doesn't work because Hero Lab on iPad doesn't look in sub-folders.

---

Why are the Hero Lab developers short sighted about both of these issues?

Either put it ALL (both app versions) in the same place, and figure out how to make it work, or make it ALL configurable so that I decide where it goes and you listen to me (as it should be). And either way, scan sub-folders.
johnkzin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote