Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rlbeaver

Old March 12th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Hello,

I saw a source of information for doing this once, but after several attempts at searching for it, I can find it...

I used the authoring kit to create a user file for a custom Savage World Setting. I created an XML file (updates.xml) that seems properly formatted (from the AB information), and put it all on a website. I used HLExport to create the export file. The XML file references that one.

The source is listed, and it connects and downloads the export but the complains it's an invalid. If I download the file and import it, it imports fine.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't seem to figure out what that is...

Thanks for any insight you can offer...
Bob
rlbeaver is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2017, 09:19 AM
I'd recommend posting the text of your updates.xml file. That way, we can check if anything's missing or incorrect.

Also, where are you hosting the file? Is there something about that website that's interfering with the downloads? I forget the details, but iirc, there's apparently extra setup information needed if you host your file on dropbox, for example.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Here's a thread that includes how to tell updates.xml that it's looking for a particular file, rather than connecting to the hosting website in general: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ht=updates.xml

(post #4 in that thread)
Mathias is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
rlbeaver

Old March 12th, 2017, 09:51 AM
XML is here (I used HLExport to generate it)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<document signature="Lone Wolf Updates" version="1">
<update name="Retribution (V3.0)" date="2017/03/12:1321" size="12" description="Retribution v3.0" uniqueid="0" filetype="3" download="https://www.obatron.com/Retribution/Retribution.hl" website="" companyurl="" priority="99" major="3" minor="0" patch="" folder="savage" special="OPL" dynamic="" platform="unspecified"/>
</document>

Hero lab sees it as an update, but says that "The selected file is not a valid Hero Lab..."

When trying to go the URL of the HL file, I do get an odd error about resource being removed, which is probably IIS...so maybe that is it, although HL doesn't complain that it can't download, only that it is an invalid file.

The website is just a standard IIS server (which could be the problem), you can load the XML file in a browser okay though.

This is an in progress User file for Obatron Productions, LLC Retribution setting (I'm the co-owner). I used HLExport to generate the HL file.

If there are any links to doing this with Dropbox, it might be easier for me to manage.

Last edited by rlbeaver; March 12th, 2017 at 10:00 AM.
rlbeaver is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbeaver View Post
If there are any links to doing this with Dropbox, it might be easier for me to manage.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55484

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rlbeaver

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
That works, I had to put the updates xml file on the web server and the HL file in Dropbox, and it seemed to work (It didn't not like the xml file on dropbox as well, but now it's functional.)

Thanks everyone!
rlbeaver is offline   #6 Reply With Quote