Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RampagingHoardes

Old August 20th, 2014, 12:08 PM
+1 for 64 bit
RampagingHoardes is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 20th, 2014, 05:01 PM
+1 for 64!
Bidmaron is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:50 PM
+1 for 64bit (since i didnt specifically say it)
mirtos is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 21st, 2014, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornmusion View Post
I do not know a single person on any kind of personal level, offline or online, that has used 32bit after Vista and especially after W7. 32bit is still in use of course (XP is eternal after all), and it makes sense from the business perspective of making it 32bit so as to effectively allow anyone to partake in the product.
There are plenty of Windows 8 (not RT) tablets being sold today that ship with 32-bit Windows 8(.1). (I happen to have one!) I doubt they'd want to drop 32-bit folks completely at this point, so that means keeping two builds with the related increases in development and support costs.

My guess is that they'll have 64-bit builds eventually, but well after they've knocked off a bunch of other items on the request list and have more time to maintain two builds.

Parody is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 21st, 2014, 08:27 AM
+1 for 64, but as Parody has mentioned... not a priority ..barely on radar infact

All of my players are on XP and my main gaming machine is W8.1 so have feet in both camps....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
There are plenty of Windows 8 (not RT) tablets being sold today that ship with 32-bit Windows 8(.1). (I happen to have one!) I doubt they'd want to drop 32-bit folks completely at this point, so that means keeping two builds with the related increases in development and support costs.

My guess is that they'll have 64-bit builds eventually, but well after they've knocked off a bunch of other items on the request list and have more time to maintain two builds.
I am not a tech guy, but wouldn't a 64 bit build be backward compatible? I have never noticed software to care it im running 32 or 64 bit, only the OS.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
no, you generally have to write the code to be compiled for 64 bit. Sometimes if the code is written in a specific way, you can compile it for both without much effort.

its one of the complaints about chrome, that there is no 64 bit.
mirtos is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Ah. Thank you.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
I am not a tech guy, but wouldn't a 64 bit build be backward compatible? I have never noticed software to care it im running 32 or 64 bit, only the OS.
It's the other way around: the OS is backward compatible. At present, 32-bit applications can run on 32-bit and 64-bit (Windows) OSes, but 64-bit applications can only run on 64-bit systems.

Microsoft could take this ability away, but it's probably not going to be for a while. It took years for them to put out an OS that didn't run 16-bit applications, and even today you can still run 16-bit applications if you install the 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.

With the .NET frameworks you can create single applications that will run in the proper mode on 32 and 64-bit systems, but (among other limitations) only if you restrict yourself to the framework and libraries that are similarly built for running on both. I doubt this will work for Realm Works, looking at the libraries it uses.

Hope this makes some sense. It's probably more than anyone really cares about on this forum. :)

Last edited by Parody; August 22nd, 2014 at 08:52 PM.
Parody is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old March 18th, 2015, 11:47 AM
+1 for a 64-bit version - when time allows (so not a priority now).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #20 Reply With Quote