Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

LSLundy

Old July 26th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Is it possible to add a new snippet type called something like Floating Tool Tip or something similar?

What I am imagining is a snippet where you can add a short piece of text - perhaps long enough to hold the short description of a spell, or maybe the description or a quick reminder about a specific NPC or place that, when you hover your cursor over a link - either in the text or in a created link, it would display the tool tip you entered.

The reason I'm asking for this is I just finished entering every spell from the Pathfinder main rule books into RW and had to create a LARGE number of relationships between the spells and the casting classes that can cast those spells - several thousand, at least. This has DRASTICALLY increased my save times and how long it takes to pull up the relationship panel to create a new one.

By having a place to enter the tool tip and knowing it would display, I could eliminate most of those links because the information I need - short spell description and spell casting block would be on hand.

Last edited by LSLundy; July 26th, 2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
LSLundy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
LSLundy

Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Does what I'm asking for make sense. or did I lose every one? Thanks for looking!
LSLundy is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
I believe what you are talking about is like in HL when you hover over CMB and a popup window shows you haw it was calculated. I personally would find this useful but not critical.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2014, 11:57 PM
After the massive crunch of GenCon and trying to get Player Edition finished up, I'm finally circling back to review all the feature requests, and I'm not sure I understand this one. You've created relationships between spells and the classes that can cast them, which ends up with a long list of relationships being listed in the transitions pane. We recently introduced some speed-ups in the transitions pane display, so hopefully it's not as slow for you. But I don't understand how a floating tooltip would benefit you. And I'm not even sure what you're trying to achieve.

Probably the best thing to do is explain this to me in the abstract. Instead of focusing on how you would implement something, let's just explore what you're trying to accomplish in general.

Are you viewing the spells and want to see information about the classes that can cast them? Or are you view the classes and want to see information about the spells they can cast? Whichever it is, what types of information are you trying to view and for what purpose?

Once I have a solid understanding of the ultimate objective you're striving to achieve, then I can either offer suggestions on how best to accomplish that with the existing product or figure out a good way of achieving it that we can add to the todo list.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 6th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I have a topic, perhaps a character. I would like a floating tooltip to appear on any link to the topic that provides a brief summary, e.g. for characters I might include their basic personality attributes (or maybe that characters disposition towards the party).

If the tooltip was a text snippet, then I could change it as things change in the campaign.

This would save me having to transition to the topic to check only one detail.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Guyanthalas

Old March 28th, 2017, 03:58 PM
This post is very old, but since I was about to post a request for the same thing I'd figure I'd just throw my hat in for this one.

My theory of implementation would be the ability to flag a snippet as a "tool tip snippet". This would enable that content to be shown as a tool tip when you hover over a link to this item.

The use case would be to quickly reference a small but important bit of information without having to leave the current page. Hovering over the link 'Urist McDwarf' could provide a tool tip of "Sour looking dwarf mercenary", or 'Mystical McGuffin' would says "A leather bound book that glows slightly". The reason you may want this to be customizable is because useful bit can mean different things to different people. Ideally this would be summary text for whatever object, person, place or item is being linked to so you don't have to make a page jump to get small details.

Could be a coding nightmare, but I thought I'd at least pitch it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Once I have a solid understanding of the ultimate objective you're striving to achieve, then I can either offer suggestions on how best to accomplish that with the existing product or figure out a good way of achieving it that we can add to the todo list.
Guyanthalas is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old March 28th, 2017, 09:30 PM
+1
Sounds very usefull, even though other things are much higher up on my personal wishlist.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 29th, 2017, 03:52 AM
Trouble is you will most likely want the tooltip to be different for players and this opens the whole can of reveal worms on it.
Bidmaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Guyanthalas

Old March 29th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Ah, that does throw a wrench in the works. I don't consider player edition so I never think much about revealing those bits and pieces. My original assumption was that it would be GM only use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Trouble is you will most likely want the tooltip to be different for players and this opens the whole can of reveal worms on it.
Guyanthalas is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 29th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Even without player edition, it would be a problem in player view.
Bidmaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote