Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Oracle68

Old June 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hiya!

I just wanted to ask why the base attack bonus box on the standard D20 character sheet will not show all base attacks? Example, a 14th level Barbarian has 3 attacks. The box only shows the first attack.

Is there a reason for this?

And before Wayfarer<--friend who disagrees that this should be an issue - pipes in, Yes I know all one has to do is look at the Unarmed weapon line.

Thanks!
Oracle68 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
McQ

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I believe it's something like every sixth bonus to base attack grants an additional attack. Sometimes it's just easier to put down the Base Attack and figure out the additional attacks per round from there.

I think the three attacks would require at least a Base Attack of 16?
McQ is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
After many, many post-game discussions with Oracle68 I can assure you, McQ, that "figuring it out from there" is precisely what he wants the software to do for him.

He'd like the printed sheet that is before him to have ALL of the attack values that a character is entitled to when they don't take more than a five foot step, i.e., their Full Attack routine, listed in the box on page one.

My counterargument to him has always been:

A) This would require the box to enlarge & possibly shove the Initiative box out of alignment OR for the font of the numbers to shrink and possibly become unreadable.

B) Even if all the base values were listed, when using an impromptu weapon the player would still have to mentally add in the bonus the character is entitled to due to their DEX, STR or Feats. Plus any non-proficiency penalties that might apply.

C) It's simpler to just look at your Unarmed Attack values if the impromptu weapon is a melee weapon since the U.A. value "normally" isn't going to have magical bonuses factored in.

HOWEVER, this is not to say that Oracle68's request is without merit. Perhaps the sheet should have two boxes, one that shows Base Melee and another showing Base Ranged that would automatically factor in the appropriate stat bonus or penalty. Non-proficiency penalties would still have to be added in mentally by the player as we are talking about "spur of the moment opportunity" use of a weapon that is not normally on the character sheet.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; June 13th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Oracle68

Old June 13th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ View Post
I believe it's something like every sixth bonus to base attack grants an additional attack. Sometimes it's just easier to put down the Base Attack and figure out the additional attacks per round from there.

I think the three attacks would require at least a Base Attack of 16?
From a player point of view, I do not know off the top of my head when the extra attacks come in being. I know that they exist and, if need be, I can find the table in the appropriate book that will give me the information.

What I am asking of the developers, via this forum, is why the base attack box on page one of the standard character sheet does not show multiple base attack bonuses, if the class grants them, and whether or not anything can, or will, be done to add them them o the bas attack box.

Nigel is a good friend and far be it from me to ask him to be quiet on this subject! I have heard his opinion till I am blue! <--- ;-P He disagrees with me on this issue and while that is ok, I want to hear from others, specifically, the developers, on this matter.
Oracle68 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle68 View Post
That I am asking of the developers, via this forum, is why the base attack box on page one of the standard character sheet does not show multiple base attack bonuses, if the class grants them, and whether or not anything can, or will, be done to add them them o the bas attack box.
I am not a developer but one reason is that is how every character sheet I have ever seen for d20 does it. Even in Pathfinder they have just BAB and then your Ranged/Melee attack values.

Just wonder why you would want it? I mean as a Barbarian are you not using some type of Magic weapon by 14th level? Plus weapon focus or many other feats that can be affecting your attack values with a weapon. I can't think of the last time in the last 7 years of gaming that I had a wish to see just what the full BAB values where on my character sheet. Again just wondering what the value is?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Oracle68

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am not a developer but one reason is that is how every character sheet I have ever seen for d20 does it. Even in Pathfinder they have just BAB and then your Ranged/Melee attack values.

Just wonder why you would want it? I mean as a Barbarian are you not using some type of Magic weapon by 14th level? Plus weapon focus or many other feats that can be affecting your attack values with a weapon. I can't think of the last time in the last 7 years of gaming that I had a wish to see just what the full BAB values where on my character sheet. Again just wondering what the value is?
The value is for me to find my base attack bonuses easily and simply. Since there is a box that shows them on the first page AND since the software already calculates them, why can't they ALL be shown?

Perhaps your GM doesn't put your characters into a situation where you would need to see the BABs or perhaps you do not feel the need to have them handy. I, on the other hand,do find the useful and would prefer to see them with the first attack bonus. That's all.

LIVE, LOVE, LEARN
Oracle68 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm confused as to why you'd want the BAB for all attacks to show on the sheet!

If you have a BAB of +6 then the next attack would be +1, all extra attacks are 5 less than the previous attack.

So at 16th level a fighter has a BAB of +16 the subsequent attacks are +11, +6, +1 each one 5 different to the last.
What's the difficulty in figuring it out from the existing BAB box?
Just curious!
bodrin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Oracle68

Old June 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
I'm confused as to why you'd want the BAB for all attacks to show on the sheet!

If you have a BAB of +6 then the next attack would be +1, all extra attacks are 5 less than the previous attack.

So at 16th level a fighter has a BAB of +16 the subsequent attacks are +11, +6, +1 each one 5 different to the last.
What's the difficulty in figuring it out from the existing BAB box?
Just curious!
Because I don't have those statistics memorized! And since I do not eat and sleep this game system, I find it helpful to have the information at my fingertips, easily and readily.

I will also point out that I SUCK at math!

LIVE, LOVE, LEARN
Oracle68 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote