Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Hargert

Old July 30th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Not sure if this the correct place for this if not please move this post.

It would be nice if we could create our hero at each level ahead of time and change them easly from one to the next. In pathfinder it is often a good idea to plan out all your feats and options before hand to make sure you will be able to qualify for them. Right now having to level them up and then reload is a pain or having 20 different versions of the same hero is the only option.
Hargert is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 30th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I don't understand the suggestion .. you can add levels one-by-one to your character as you advance... there's no need to input them all.

If you do want to plan ahead of time for some reason, the new support for "Staggered Advancement" in Pathfinder Unchained seems to actually allow that.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Philderbeast

Old July 30th, 2015, 06:18 PM
I think he is talking about having a pre leveled character so he can jsut swap to it in play, or as a referance to what he is planning to do with the characer.

normally for this I just copy the hero so the portfolio has 2 copies, one with extra levels then the other.
Philderbeast is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lycanphoenix

Send a message via Skype™ to Lycanphoenix

Old July 31st, 2015, 07:22 PM
Being able to store multiple iterations of the same character in the same portfolio is only the first step; now if Hero Lab went the route of Hero Lab, where you could create a "wishlist" (within reason) for your character in the future and Hero Lab would create a roadmap for you to follow (with reasonable margin for error, because it is not a sentient individual), then that would be something.
Lycanphoenix is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 5th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I guess I am confused with this as well. Couldn't you create multiple versions of the same character, add them to a single portfolio? Each character can be a different level so you could have 20 versions if you like. But you can do this now with the product, but I might be missing something here.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 5th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
I guess I am confused with this as well. Couldn't you create multiple versions of the same character, add them to a single portfolio? Each character can be a different level so you could have 20 versions if you like. But you can do this now with the product, but I might be missing something here.
Yes, BUT said characters gear, hit points, wand/potions usages, in-play resources would then be all lost.

He is asking for Hero Lab to track Class chosen, skill points spent, class options, and feats taken on a per level basis. Then allow you to hide/show levels dynamically.

It would be neat to hide/roll back a character to Level x. I have had people sometimes ask, "What did you take for level 5 with your Paladin/Slayer/Wizard/etc...) To roll back (or forward) to different levels during a build would be nice.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 5th, 2015, 08:28 PM
So the idea is that every character would be saved as a database, with some sort of change journaling system? I mean, I understand the appeal, I've set up archive folders to save previous version of characters as they advance, but ye gods I think that would be a bigger project than writing Hero Lab in the first place.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 9th, 2015, 07:33 AM
It depends on how far you take it. Really, it would just be another "attribute" in the XML stating what "Level" said feat, option, class, etc it was chosen.

It would require another option in HL to "Lock" the character as well, that is, not allow you to add 5 class levels at once and force you to add one level and all feats/etc then hit the "level up" button to lock it all in.

Again, it would be nice but it personally would be lower on my wish list. You learn to just create a level 12 version (or 20) of your character first and save it in the same portfolio and just reference it when needed.

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote