Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Jamz

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There won't be any fine-grained time tracking in V1.0. We will have a more coarse-grained ability to do this, and we can evolve it further if lots of users want the capability. User feedback will be a primary driving force in the directions the product evolves after launch.
Time tracking would be one of the key things I'd want as well. At least by day. I have several players into crafting now and the ability to track progress would be great.

Note: this is Pathfinder crafting, so the days do not need to be consecutive, so in 7 days game time, the PC may only have worked on it 3 days. A convenient way for both the GM and PC to adjust/view this would be great!

Regarding the import/export questions:

Thanks for the responses! I'm perfectly fine with "future" updates, I know you guys never just put out a 1.0 and sit on that version for years. In fact, I'd much rather have "incremental" updates to the software as you guys add it in, vs waiting a year for large batches of updates.

Now back to work! <cracks the whip>

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release

Last edited by Jamz; March 14th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Jamz is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM
A couple suggestions for when you get to the point of allowing multiple GMs to have access to the data:
Make sure the default setting is "Co-GMs see nothing"
When assigning rights to edit material, make it possible to select specific subsets of the entry (at the very least, "don't share secrets", with an ability to flag a piece of data as secret).
"Secret" data should always be shared on a per-item basis.
I don't know if the relationship data will be complete enough, but the ability to select a portion of a map (more properly, the corresponding "Region" entry) and easily assigning co-GM access to all associated entries (again, excepting "secret" data).

What I am envisioning, is a situation where one person develops the world, but then allows another person to take responsibility for a subset (for instance, one player develops a foreigner from an undeveloped region as a character, and the GM assigns that player the job of at least starting the development of the region so they have some additional backstory material to work with.)
pyremius is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old March 19th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Ok, since I don't have access to the beta boards yet... but wanted this written down. The maps functionality... Can we get access to the google maps API but with the map pins linking to a Realm Works page. I'm thinking of my Shadowrun game where I use a google map of seattle to illustrate my game.
Thrantor is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Thrantor, do you do this currently? From what I understand about googlemaps, that while there API is free, the geocodes (which contains the data thats essential) is not. The company that I works for has to pay for that from google. I imagine it might be different for a non-commercial entity, but once LW plugs it in, i would expect they would have to pay for the geocodes as well.
mirtos is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Thrantor, do you do this currently? From what I understand about googlemaps, that while there API is free, the geocodes (which contains the data thats essential) is not. The company that I works for has to pay for that from google. I imagine it might be different for a non-commercial entity, but once LW plugs it in, i would expect they would have to pay for the geocodes as well.
Yeah, I've got a "custom map" with them that I already have like 300 tags in.

Although, what do you mean by Geocodes? For us, I work at a company that uses the term as well, when we talk about geocoding it's when we take an address and turn it into GPS coordinates.

And for a company that runs a bunch of addresses through Google, that makes sense. But I was under the impression that the API used to display maps and then the pins on the maps is free. Vs querying the google database for GPS coordinates for addresses.

Obsidian portal uses their APIs but with maps that have been saved local to the Obsidian Portal site.
Thrantor is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Ahh i see, i thought you wanted the "real maps" (when you mentioned seattle). Yep, Geocodes is generally turning address info to GPS and vice versa. with addresses and the like. The company I work for purchases their map data from google. Google makes their money from the maps by licensing their data (millions of addresses). The API to display maps is free, and javascript, as far as i know, and do pins and the like, but you have to have the map. I was assuming if you wanted seattle youd want to show the Seattle map you wanted the addresses associated with it.
mirtos is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old March 20th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
I was assuming if you wanted seattle youd want to show the Seattle map you wanted the addresses associated with it.
Meh, for this experiment/idea I'd really just need the ability to stick pins in locations in seattle and map them to Realm Works articles. I don't need the ability to search for locations since most of those locations really won't exist in 2070 anyway. For those locations that do exist I can always search in maps.google.com, get the location, move over to Realm Works and put the pin in roughly the same place.

That way they aren't doing the geocoding through Realm Works. They are just allowing us to use the google maps functionality while linking to articles. Admittedly, this would only be useful for real world games. But it might be easily extended functionality from their current mapping system.
Thrantor is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM
im not sure.... i think theyve already done some neat pinning. and from what i know about google maps, its only browser based. (well, mobile too, but thats a different story)
mirtos is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Google's solution is browser-only. As such, we haven't even looked at it, since we can't leverage it in the standalone client. In addition, the Google API likely has some significant limitations with various capabilities we'll be providing for maps in Realm Works. For example, I doubt Google has provisions for the integrated revealing of regions, revealing of pins, marking of key locations, placement of tokens to indicated monsters/PCs/whatever, indicating on pins what has/hasn't been revealed yet, etc.
rob is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Google's solution is browser-only. As such, we haven't even looked at it, since we can't leverage it in the standalone client. In addition, the Google API likely has some significant limitations with various capabilities we'll be providing for maps in Realm Works. For example, I doubt Google has provisions for the integrated revealing of regions, revealing of pins, marking of key locations, placement of tokens to indicated monsters/PCs/whatever, indicating on pins what has/hasn't been revealed yet, etc.
Yeah, I just love being able to use the real world maps of seattle. Getting that level of detail in RealmWorks is likely to be technically impossible or data size prohibitive. Wonder if in the future(with the cloud) I could imbed realm works links in the Google description. Click on a pin, have it bring up the short description and include a link to the article in the cloud.

Sure, the player would need to login but there could still be some level of connection there.

Oh, that is a definite feature for the cloud. Allow for URLs that will take you to an article for a specific campaign.
Thrantor is offline   #80 Reply With Quote