Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Teresa

Old November 1st, 2016, 08:41 AM
I have been looking, but I couldn't find this piece of information in the forum (probably missed it).

I've been using the calendar feature in RW as my base for dates: but is it a proleptic Gregorian calendar before 15th October 1582 (going back to 14th of October) or is it Julian (skipping back straight to 4th of October)?
Teresa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM
It lets you pick dates between 1582-10-05 and 1582-10-14 (inclusive). Does that help?

Last edited by Parody; November 1st, 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM
Proleptic. It literally runs straight from 1 AD to the maximum and minimum dates possible.

Keep in mind that the switch from Gregorian to Julian happened at different times in different places. For instance that gap in October 1582 occurred in mainland Europe. The switch to Gregorian in the UK happened in 1752 and skipped September 3 through 13. In Japan the switch occurred in, IIRC, 1912 and you'd need to look up which dates were skipped.

Last edited by kbs666; November 1st, 2016 at 10:57 AM.
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old November 1st, 2016, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Keep in mind that the switch from Gregorian to Julian happened at different times in different places.
*groan* I'm using astronomy software to get the precise dates for equinoxes and solstices all the way since about 10k BCE - and those always switch to Julian at the date the Pope ordered the calendars change.

Now I just need to know whether RW follows the usual algorithm so that I can articulate everything:
if (year is not divisible by 4) then (it is a common year)
else if (year is not divisible by 100) then (it is a leap year)
else if (year is not divisible by 400) then (it is a common year)
else (it is a leap year)
or if it also adds the
if (year is not divisible by 3200) then (it is a leap year)
Thanks for your help!
Teresa is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 1st, 2016, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
or if it also adds the
if (year is not divisible by 3200) then (it is a leap year)
It does not add this rule. Only the previous common ones you mentioned.
davidp is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 1st, 2016, 05:47 PM
This is the sort of thing that makes me wonder about the viability of a flexible custom calendar system. I can certainly code such a thing but have no idea how to produce a UI to allow it to be manipulated in any sort of useful manner to produce all the calendars present on Earth much less the existing fantasy calendars.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old November 1st, 2016, 06:18 PM
Does it really make that big a difference to you? Will your players even care?

I don't think any of my players could be bothered to look it up. I'm sure they would just accept whatever I or the DM of the session decided and go with it. I'd be willing to wager "one dolla" that 80+ percent of players wouldn't care either.

'Trading Places' reference there...
Viking2054 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 1st, 2016, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Proleptic. It literally runs straight from 1 AD to the maximum and minimum dates possible.

Keep in mind that the switch from Gregorian to Julian happened at different times in different places. For instance that gap in October 1582 occurred in mainland Europe. The switch to Gregorian in the UK happened in 1752 and skipped September 3 through 13. In Japan the switch occurred in, IIRC, 1912 and you'd need to look up which dates were skipped.
Neato! Never heard of that before.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:12 AM
@davidp Thanks, that helps a lot.

@Viking2054 This is important to me from a worldbuilding perspective for writing: the story is set in the real world, so I need to correlate real events, both historical and astronomical (the equinox marks the beginning of the new year in my alternate solar calendar, ie), with my fictional events. Like I said, astronomical events follow the Julian + Gregorian calendar, and a lot of historical events also do the same (I just have to check the source I'm using really does do that, though).

@Aaron and kbs666 I think the Sweden Calendar is top at the calendar mess between 1699 and 1753. They even managed to have a 30-day February in 1712. This is a lot of fun when you pull it right in novels, as it gives them a lot of realism.
Teresa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:35 AM
Thank you for the algorithm. That may resolve a real-world problem for me.

I love gamers. They have the most esoteric and random interests. It's always fun applying what I learn from them to life in interesting ways.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote