Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Mathais,

I am looking at the gizmo things you posted. I am trying to figure out if I should use this create the skills that have "groups" associated with them, or just create them as individual skills instead since new skills that aren't bootstrapped via the space marine race or chapter are added via the advances tab... What do you think I should do?
RavenX is offline   #111 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Mathias,

I have two tables set up on the Squad Mode tab, I set them up using the same component but showing their data based on whether the squad mode ability has a Hide.SquadDef or Hide.SquadAtt tag on them. It works fine but I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to implement this in the editor. Any ideas?
Please clarify. I don't understand what question you're asking here.
Mathias is online now   #112 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
Mathais,

I am looking at the gizmo things you posted. I am trying to figure out if I should use this create the skills that have "groups" associated with them, or just create them as individual skills instead since new skills that aren't bootstrapped via the space marine race or chapter are added via the advances tab... What do you think I should do?
I'll need more information about what you're talking about, how it's used in the game, and what sort of flexibility it allows before I can answer this question.
Mathias is online now   #113 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Skills in 40k are purchased with experience points (Advancement Tab). The player does not get skill points to spend on skills at character creation, you either get skills for being a Space Marine, or from your Chapter or Specialty, (Bootstrapped, basically). Skills are improved by spending experience points, in increments of 10. I set up tags to handle the increases. If a skill has the Skill10 or Skill20 helper tag on it, the system will add the appropriate bonus. After thinking on it a lot, I don't think the skills that have Talent Groups will need a gizmo for choice of talent group. It might just be easier to have each individual skill listed out instead. Instead of doing Pilot and setting up a pull down gizmo for the group it applies to, just have the skills created as Pilot (Personal) or Pilot (Flyers), etc. These skills will only show up on the character sheet if the player adds them via the advances tab.
RavenX is offline   #114 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Skills are normal traits, with a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 2.

1 is displayed to the user as +10
2 is displayed to the user as +20
0 is displayed as an unmodified skill

That way, you get all the existing mechanisms for advancement, controlling skill values, etc. All you have to do is control how the numbers are displayed.
Mathias is online now   #115 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about doing it like that before. Sounds simple, and would do away with the tag system I created to handle it.

I will have to make changes to the system already, but the way you're showing me to do it would be pretty simple to set up I think. I could just take the trait value and multiply it by 10 to get the values for the skills to add to the linked attribute. And it may be easier to implement this via the advances tab than the tags would have been. I'll look at what I have done and figure out how to recode it. I will have to set it up to range from -1 to 2 though, with -1 being untrained, basic so that hero lab calculates those skills at 1/2 the value of their linked attribute, but that shouldn't be a problem to implement.

Last edited by RavenX; April 8th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
RavenX is offline   #116 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Ok I did this your way, seems to be working correctly.
RavenX is offline   #117 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 9th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Mathias,

I have started working on the equipment mods for Deathwatch. I am currently attempting to make heads and tails out of the information you gave for gizmos. I may request some assistance on this later if I can't figure it all out.
RavenX is offline   #118 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old April 9th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mathias,

When dealing with weapon mods, what is the best way of handling weapon mods that a weapon can only have one of? In Deathwatch, ranged weapons can only have one sight type modification (Red-dot sight, or Telescopic Sight for example). Should I use tags to generate a validation error on weapons that can only have one sight? This is my first attempt at dealing with gizmos and I'd like to figure out how to approach the requirement.
RavenX is offline   #119 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yes, tags and validation messages.
Mathias is online now   #120 Reply With Quote