Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

arsagano

Old May 17th, 2018, 07:42 AM
I'm trying to fully understand the editor in HL, but so much of what is out there is geared heavily toward PF. The PF module has a tool which allows for creating custom weapons, armor, etc that I cannot find in 5E. So I'm hoping someone here can help steer me in the best direction.

I'm creating a weapon that needs three things - deity specific attunement restriction, poison resistance and bane vs demons.

For the poison Eval Script, I am thinking

if (hero.tagis[IsRace.rDwarf] = 0) then
perform hero.assign[DamageRes.dtPoison]
endif

(It's lifted from the belt of dwarvenkind) if not a dwarf, then add poison resistance to the character. Am I correct with this statement? If not, where will it break and why?

For the bane vs demons, bane on weapons is not a 5E thing anymore as far as I can tell. Without debating the extra damage dice or enhancement bonus specifically, I'm guessing the best approach is simply text in the weapon description. However, is there a way to create an Eval Script that makes an asterisk next to the equipped weapon entry or armory entry of the character sheet with a note that simply states +2 vs fiends, 2d6 extra damage vs fiends or something like that anyway?

My biggest dilemma is in putting a deity specific restriction for attunement on the weapon. I'm not even sure if that is possible with the editor. Basically, if they have not selected a specific deity (Erastil, for example) then they cannot attune the weapon, and thereby not gain the benefits.

Thanks in advance for the help.
arsagano is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
xWhiteGodx

Old May 21st, 2018, 08:31 AM
Quote:
For the poison Eval Script, I am thinking

endif
Keep everything from the original "non-dwarf" section.

Quote:
#situational[hero.child[svAll],"Advantage on saving throws vs poison",field[thingname].text]
endif
The "#Situational" is what gives the asterisk for the "advantage on saves vs poison" when viewing from a character sheet.

As for the other things, I'll see if I can't create the thing you're going for after I get off work, unless someone else answers your query. I'm no expert in making eval scripts (in part because there is no decent guide for 5e Editor), but I've managed to scrounge up a bunch of custom items that work by copying scripts from already existing items (like you've done.
xWhiteGodx is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 21st, 2018, 11:40 AM
You are on the correct path for the dwarf/poison part. It will break if you have created a custom dwarf race that doesn't have the ID rDwarf on it, but if you use the normal PC race dwarf (and any subraces attached to it) you won't ever have a problem.

For the extra damage to fiends, you can do this a couple of ways.

If you want to see it on the damage displayed on the weapons tab you can add a field "wDamExtra" to the weapon and type in " plus 2d6 damage to fiends" or the like. You can do this via the Fields button in the editor or in the eval script like:

field[wDamExtra].text &= " plus 2d6 damage vs fiends"

[HINT: Look at the Dragon Slayer magic weapon]

If you don't want it to display in the weapon tab, you can add the field "wAttackEff" and the text value would be " If the weapon strikes fiends it does an additional 2d6 damage of the same type."
or
field[wAttackEff].text &= "If the weapon strikes fiends it does an additional 2d6 damage of the same type."

[HINT: Look at Net]

Adding an asterisk to the name isn't too hard, if you look at the code for Weapon, +1 you can see where they add the +1 to the start of the weapon name. Using the same script you could do this

Code:
      ~set our name based on the type of weapon chosen
      field[livename].text = "+1/+2 vs fiends "
      perform gizmo.findchild[BaseWep].setfocus
      if (state.isfocus <> 0) then
        field[livename].text &= titlecase(focus.field[name].text)
      else
        field[livename].text &= "Weapon" 
        endif
      field[shortname].text = field[livename].text
      field[sbName].text = field[livename].text
If you wanted to add an asterisk to the end of the weapon name it is:
Code:
      ~set our name based on the type of weapon chosen
      field[livename].text = "+1/+2 vs fiends "
      perform gizmo.findchild[BaseWep].setfocus
      if (state.isfocus <> 0) then
        field[livename].text &= titlecase(focus.field[name].text) & "*"
      else
        field[livename].text &= "Weapon" & "*"
        endif
      field[shortname].text = field[livename].text
      field[sbName].text = field[livename].text
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jjashley

Old May 21st, 2018, 11:44 AM
I used this one to add similar notes like that

post-levels 10000

~ If we're disabled, do nothing
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] = 1)

foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "IsWeapon.wSpear"
#extradamage[eachpick, " +2 vs fiends, 2d6 extra damage vs fiends", field[thingname].text]
nexteach

I would just change IsWeapon.wSpear to be for whatever weapon you are creating.
jjashley is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
arsagano

Old May 21st, 2018, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the replies y'all. I'm still learning, so this was helpful.
arsagano is offline   #5 Reply With Quote