Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

MajorlyCool

Old May 1st, 2018, 03:30 PM
I apologize if this issue has already been raised, I wasn't able to find a reference via a search. I have a 5th level Shield Dwarf War Priest. I'm getting errors in Hero Lab (both PC and iPad) concerning the number of my spells. Players Handbook says I should have 4 1st lvl, 3 2nd lvl, 2 3rd lvl spells. I have the 6 War Domain spells plus my other 9 spells. Hero Lab's Spells page says I have one too many prepared and in the upper right it says I have 9/8 memorized. I'm not sure if there's a bug or if I'm overlooking something. Thanks!
MajorlyCool is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:31 AM
I think you're confusing spell slots available with spells memorized, so not a Hero Lab issue unless you have a +4 modifier for your Wisdom (see below).

At 5th level a cleric has 4 1st level slots, 3 2nd level slots and 2 3rd level slots available. These are the number of spells of each level you can cast each day, not the number you have learned or memorized.

The number of spells a cleric can have memorized at a time (ignoring the war domain bonus spells) is your cleric level + your wisdom modifier.

So although you have 9 total slots, these are not the same as your max number memorized which is 5 + your wisdom modifier - which means you must have a +3 wisdom modifier. So you can choose to memorize 8 1st level spells that you can cast 4x at 1st level, 3x at 2nd level and 2x at 3rd level or any combination of 1st-3rd level spells.

Note: You don't get to cast your bonus war domain spells at will for free, you just get to memorize them for free.

Last edited by dungeonguru; May 2nd, 2018 at 06:35 AM.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MajorlyCool

Old May 2nd, 2018, 05:50 PM
Thanks Dungoenguru. I thought it might be something along those lines but I don't see a way in Hero Lab to correct the error it's giving. My character does have a +3 Wisdom modifier. I think I'm following you in that I can have 8 spells memorized versus the 9 spell slots I've used to select all my spells. However, in the Cleric Spells tab it says "Too many spells prepared (1 over)!" I'm not seeing were I selected my prepared/memorized vs selected spell slots.

In the Play tab I went to "Change Memorized Spells/View Spells" and it brought me right back to the Cleric Spells tab so it feels like a Catch 22.
MajorlyCool is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MajorlyCool

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:04 PM
I think I get it now. The spell tab does represent Memorized spells and I need to keep it to 8 not 9 because my Wisdom modifier is +3 vs +4?
MajorlyCool is offline   #4 Reply With Quote