Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Daemonfey

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:22 AM
Ok, all of my last questions went unanswered, but I'll try again, with a new one:

I have a secondary custom ability that a three of my homebrew classes share. I want there to be only one selection of this ability, regardless of the class/classes. Meaning, if I take the first level in one of these classes I want to select 1 ability. If then, I take a level in another class that grants this ability, I do NOT want to have another selection.

Please, any ideas how to accomplish this?
Daemonfey is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:16 AM
My suggestion would be to create an eval script or rule that saves the user's selection to a new variable. You can then create another script that searches for that variable upon selection. If it's blank, it defaults to the first option (allowing the user to choose). If it is defined, it uses that definition for the second selection automatically.

Now... That's all theoretical. I've only started to mess with the editor in terms of coding, so my applicable knowledge is very limited and I can't actually recommend how to write that code yet. But I felt bad that your previous questions weren't answered and wanted to at least add something into this one that others might be able to flesh out or strike out. Get the ball rolling, if you will.

You might also look up abilities or feats that do something similar mechanically. There must be some, because there are feats that will NOT allow you to select an option more than once, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you need to do. So they are probably defining a variable and similarly referencing it. There might be a clue within the code of those feats. That's kind of how I've been learning.
Joshua is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM
The "User-Once" uniqueness choice at the top.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Oh, oops. I totally misread what Daemonfey was looking for! Sorry, had a really rough morning after fitful sleep and I'm still all groggy and out of it. Where's my coffee??

Last edited by Joshua; February 21st, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Correction
Joshua is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Daemonfey

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
First of all, thanks alot for helping me out!

@Joshua: Actually, I think you understood just fine what I was trying to get at!
@Mathias: My bad, but that was not what I was looking for! I know I can configure an individual ability to be added only once, but I have a list of abilities as "secondary custom abilities", that I wanted three classes to have access to. They should, however only - in their whole career - be able to select one ability from that list, no matter if you multiclassed within these three classes. So I could not simply say that one class gets one choice at 1st level, because then, there would be one choice for every class that grants access.

However, your simple advice still did the trick, because now, I did it a different way:
I made a class special ability (to be added only once) that each of the three classes gets. Then, I bootstrapped a "Configurable" that grants access to one selection of my list of abilities (that I moved from "custom ability" to "R Cust Special").
So, in effect, whenever I have one or more levels in one or more classes that grant this ability, I have a new tab where I can select one ability from my list - like "Amateur Gunslinger".

Again, thanks alot for prodding me in the right direction!
Daemonfey is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Glad you worked it out! And I learned something out of it too.
Joshua is offline   #6 Reply With Quote