Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old July 29th, 2017, 08:02 PM
1. Is there a way to create a link to a Mechanics Reference Category? I want to create a link directly to the Skill/Ability category for a bunch of snippets I created on character creation but it will not allow me to create a link to that category.

2. I would like to start adding the spells of the system I use to the Spell/Power sub-category under the Abilities category. It seems easy enough to just click the add button. But, first there are 3 different articles spells fall under, they are: Low Magic (cantrips), Middle Magic (regular spells), and High magic (arcane stuff, not for the masses). Secondly under Middle magic there needs to be a section for each profession (class) and each spell would fall under a single profession or more.

I would like to have the first sub category under Spell/Power be something other than the base Spell/Power article like maybe a General Gameplay article.

RW does not allow one to create an article like that under Spell/Power category. What work-arounds has anyone here come up with?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).

Last edited by Madmaxneo; July 29th, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old July 29th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Well if you go to manage categories and scroll down to spell, you can duplicate it or create sub-categories with the tools icon beside spell
ErinRigh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2017, 06:05 AM
What would a link to a category point to?

Maybe you want a link to container level list instead?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 30th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRigh View Post
Well if you go to manage categories and scroll down to spell, you can duplicate it or create sub-categories with the tools icon beside spell
I can do that but it does not seem to fit having the parent article (low, middle, or high magic) identified as a Spell/Power and then a container under that having the professions and then sub containers with the actual spells for each profession. Whereas those same spells are aptly identified as a Spell/Power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
What would a link to a category point to?

Maybe you want a link to container level list instead?
The issue is I already have all the skills input and if I can move them to a "Skill/Ability" Container then I would be adding an unnecessary level to the tree as it is. Attached is a screen shot. BTW, attaching screenshots is a real pain on these forums, it can only be so big, then it has to be certain dimensions.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RW Skills.jpg (165.9 KB, 20 views)

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Madmaxneo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2017, 08:13 AM
If you want to link to the tree you need a target. That is the nature of these things.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 30th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
If you want to link to the tree you need a target. That is the nature of these things.
Yeah I see that.
Now only if clinking the link would actually take you to the area in the link on the side bar also. Basically if someone wanted to peruse the skill categories they would still have to navigate to that spot in the Mechanics Reference area. If they click the link in the character creation summary it will only show the page the link is on and not the entire area in the sidebar....

Madmaxneo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 30th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Perhaps the way to do this is to not actually use the parent article but instead modify the spell category to include a selection tag that can then be used to filter on Low, Medium and High magic.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 30th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
The issue is I already have all the skills input and if I can move them to a "Skill/Ability" Container then I would be adding an unnecessary level to the tree as it is.
Personally I would consider the Category groupings the unnecessary level. (You can turn them off by setting the Navigation View/Similar Topic Grouping preference to "By Simple Grouping".)

Here's the Skills section of my Paranoia realm, showing a stub of the Energy Weapons skill (since I apparently never went back and updated the earliest skills I entered after changing their Category definition. Oops!)

Skill Tree.png

Here I've put all of the Skills and Specialties (Stats and Skills, respectively, in most other RPGs) into a hierarchy. The top-level Article is a Generic Ability Article, while I created custom Categories for the Skills and Specialties. In addition to giving you a link destination, it gives you a place to put general information for the contained items.

Quote:
Now only if clinking the link would actually take you to the area in the link on the side bar also.
The problem is that the target isn't in the current navigation, whether because it's in a different View or because you've filtered what you're seeing. The command to reveal it won't do anything for the same reason.

There are a lot of edge cases, but (as someone who is almost always in the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference) I'd prefer it worked something like this:

If the Navigation is showing one of the global "views" (World Almanac/Mechanics Reference/Storyboard/User Notes), there's no filter, and the link target is in a different global "view", switch to reveal the new item without asking.

Otherwise, ask (with a "don't show again" checkbox) to do the minimum necessary to reveal the new item, in roughly this order:

- Turn off the filter that hides the item.
- Switch to the related global "view" for the current View.
- Switch to any other global "view".

Even if they don't want to implement this when following a link, the explicit show command (Ctrl-=) should tell you why the item can't be revealed and/or do the above.

Quote:
BTW, attaching screenshots is a real pain on these forums, it can only be so big, then it has to be certain dimensions.....
While they are arbitrary, I like the limitations in a way; they hopefully make you think about what you're trying to show people and resize your windows or crop/resize your screenshots. You can always put your image elsewhere and link to it if you need full resolution for something.

Last edited by Parody; July 30th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 30th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Perhaps the way to do this is to not actually use the parent article but instead modify the spell category to include a selection tag that can then be used to filter on Low, Medium and High magic.
What do you mean by "modify the spell category to include a selection tag that can then be used to filter on Low, Medium and High magic"?

Madmaxneo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 30th, 2017, 06:51 PM
How do you mention people other than using a quote like below?
In this case I wanted to simply respond without showing the quote,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Personally I would consider the Category groupings the unnecessary level. (You can turn them off by setting the Navigation View/Similar Topic Grouping preference to "By Simple Grouping".)

Here's the Skills section of my Paranoia realm, showing a stub of the Energy Weapons skill (since I apparently never went back and updated the earliest skills I entered after changing their Category definition. Oops!)

Here I've put all of the Skills and Specialties (Stats and Skills, respectively, in most other RPGs) into a hierarchy. The top-level Article is a Generic Ability Article, while I created custom Categories for the Skills and Specialties. In addition to giving you a link destination, it gives you a place to put general information for the contained items.

The problem is that the target isn't in the current navigation, whether because it's in a different View or because you've filtered what you're seeing. The command to reveal it won't do anything for the same reason.

There are a lot of edge cases, but (as someone who is almost always in the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference) I'd prefer it worked something like this:

If the Navigation is showing one of the global "views" (World Almanac/Mechanics Reference/Storyboard/User Notes), there's no filter, and the link target is in a different global "view", switch to reveal the new item without asking.

Otherwise, ask (with a "don't show again" checkbox) to do the minimum necessary to reveal the new item, in roughly this order:

- Turn off the filter that hides the item.
- Switch to the related global "view" for the current View.
- Switch to any other global "view".

Even if they don't want to implement this when following a link, the explicit show command (Ctrl-=) should tell you why the item can't be revealed and/or do the above.

While they are arbitrary, I like the limitations in a way; they hopefully make you think about what you're trying to show people and resize your windows or crop/resize your screenshots. You can always put your image elsewhere and link to it if you need full resolution for something.
Doing some of the things you mentioned might make it it a little more chaotic than it already is. Those are good ideas though for future consideration. Thanks!

Madmaxneo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote