Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Parody

Old June 28th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobyluv View Post
The question is though, If using RW offline, will it save and be usable by my friends remotely? Is there a way to set up my own cloud, that I control, that others can access with my permission?
No. You can use the Player View locally, but the Player clients and web access require cloud service to work.

Parody is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
... I see it as an investment in future development of the program. LWD has to have continuous flow of revenue in order to survive and churn out more great features.
I do appreciate eating!
Joe is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old June 28th, 2016, 01:27 PM
@Vagr: Thanks for adding the features I forgot to meantion, because I got used to them already.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old June 28th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
... I see it as an investment in future development of the program. LWD has to have continuous flow of revenue in order to survive and churn out more great features.
Well regarding that however, I'd rather support a program with paid expansions for example instead of monthly subscription fees. If you have no players to look at the realm, then the cloud subscription is just superfluous for me. An expansion however gives me worth extra features and things that I can use. And if I should decide for some reason - money issues, real life etc. I can still use the full extend of the program. (extra though after the posting: ok I can cancel the subscription anytime though, and buy it back when I should need it maybe...)

Each approach has it's benefits of course and I am trying to wait and see what LWD comes up with in the end, since everything is "included in the iniitial payment" which is of course very nice from LWD already.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 29th, 2016, 07:03 AM
@Acenoid:

Valid points. There sure are many ways to cut the cake.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Shadowopal

Old December 13th, 2016, 11:15 AM
This issue is still an issue. I was going to spend the day working on my realm only to find that because I have no Internet, I cannot open the program. Are there plans to address this? I know you are busy with the content market and all. But this is a big negative in my book. I spend a lot of time traveling and in areas with no networks. Be terrific if that "retry connection" window had a "I want to work offline option"
Shadowopal is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 13th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowopal View Post
This issue is still an issue. I was going to spend the day working on my realm only to find that because I have no Internet, I cannot open the program. Are there plans to address this? I know you are busy with the content market and all. But this is a big negative in my book. I spend a lot of time traveling and in areas with no networks. Be terrific if that "retry connection" window had a "I want to work offline option"
Certain versions of Realm Works REQUIRE that you connect up to the internet so that critical changes are sent down and integrated into your database structure. Once that is done, though, NO version of Realm Works requires that you be online. So it sounds like you've got Realm Works in this state.

The solution is:

1. Get an internet connection
2. Launch Realm Works (possibly being forced to login as well)
3. Let Realm Works do everything it needs to update itself locally
4. Exit Realm Works
5. Drop the internet connection
6. Launch Realm Works again
7. Select the "Work Offline" option that appears on the Login panel when it starts up

At this point, do NOT update Realm Works further until you again have an internet connection. Simply launch the product and select the "Work Offline" option from that point forward.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 13th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Certain versions of Realm Works REQUIRE that you connect up to the internet so that critical changes are sent down and integrated into your database structure. Once that is done, though, NO version of Realm Works requires that you be online. So it sounds like you've got Realm Works in this state.
Unfortunately I got into a similar position last night. I had booted my laptop with wi-fi enabled (but it was not connected to anything). I disabled wi-fi but then on starting RW I got an error saying that it needed to connect to a server.

I rebooted the laptop while the wi-fi was disabled, and then I could start RW without any problems.

(I had already updated RW to the latest version at home.)
Farling is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 14th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Unfortunately I got into a similar position last night. I had booted my laptop with wi-fi enabled (but it was not connected to anything). I disabled wi-fi but then on starting RW I got an error saying that it needed to connect to a server.

I rebooted the laptop while the wi-fi was disabled, and then I could start RW without any problems.

(I had already updated RW to the latest version at home.)
Sounds like this issue is probably with your laptop drivers not doing a proper job of reporting the proper transitions to the O/S. Realm Works is based on .Net, so there's a very rigid way for us to be asking about things like internet connection state, and it's the .Net layer that talks to the O/S. We've found that there are quite a few drivers out there that fail in a wide variety of ways to properly implement themselves. It's not just drivers for network cards, but all kinds of drivers for different purposes, including those from big companies that should be doing things correctly. The net result is that the O/S doesn't get the right information, which means .Net doesn't get the right information, which means we don't get the right information. In a few cases, we spent days working around some of these issues, but it's a losing battle.

The only viable option here for us is to simply rely on the O/S and .Net. As you determined, rebooting the laptop properly got the drivers into the correct state and reporting information accurately to the O/S. If a driver is flawed, then using the sledgehammer approach may be an unfortunate necessity.
rob is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 14th, 2016, 10:57 AM
It worked fine sometimes, but last night it failed for the first time in a while.

Oh, it looks like a Windows 10 update last week might have made things worse, and then it got patched again this week (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...-for-christmas)

Although this latest patch doesn't fix the problem either.

Last edited by Farling; December 14th, 2016 at 02:17 PM.
Farling is offline   #30 Reply With Quote